cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting late payments deleted - how?

tag
moneypenny02
New Contributor

Re: Getting late payments deleted - how?

Unfortunately, I am just getting around to this letter, but here it goes [A few facts need to be filled in, noted in brackets].  I would appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Also, if you have any insight re: mailing vs. emailing, that would also be appreciated.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to request that you consider my “goodwill request” to remove your reporting of 120-day late payments on my student loan. 

I graduated from law school in 2011 and was initially unable to find employment.  I contacted my loan holders and obtained an unemployment deferment for what I believed to be all of my student loans.  While these loans were in deferment I never received any letters indicating that [THIS LOAN] was in repayment, nor did I receive any bills for this loan.  In [MONTH?], 2011, I received a letter from my university, at my permanent address, informing me that one of my loans had been in repayment, that I had missed multiple payments, and that they had bought back my loan as well as the loans of many other students.  I contacted them immediately, and worked out a payment plan even while I was still unemployed, in hopes of rectifying this unfortunate situation.  Since I received notice that the loan was in repayment, I have made [NUMBER] of monthly payments to the current loan holder.   

I am now employed in my field of study, and my wife and I are attempting to buy a home.  My credit record has no other negative factors, but the delinquencies have dramatically lowered my credit score and the presence of 120-day delinquency completely bars us from obtaining a home loan.  This one mistake on my part is preventing us from putting down roots and taking the next steps in building our family.   

I understand that it was my responsibility to ensure that all of my loans were accounted for and to double check if any had entered repayment.  I absolutely never intended to not pay for my loan, and I have taken steps to repay this debt since I was made aware that payments had been missed.  I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that I caused by failing to do so.   It was never my intent to avoid responsibility, and I have absolutely learned a valuable lesson to be more proactive in monitoring my loans.    

I truly hope that you help me and grant my request to remove the delinquencies from my credit report.  Unlike borrowers who completely defaulted on their student loans and have formal avenues to get their defaults removed from their credit reports after on-time payments, I took responsibility as soon as I was aware of my mistake.  I can only hope that you consider these actions when you make your decision.   

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Message 11 of 13
moneypenny02
New Contributor

Nevermind....will repost as separate post.

Message 12 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Not bad, but too long.  Shorten it.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.