Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting late payments removed from CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting late payments removed from CR

My husband and I were late on our Cap 1 and chase cards in December and have as 30 day and one 60 day delinquency reporting. Unfortunately he had to take a paycut for a new job (significant pay cut) in November and things were tight. We've never been late on anything  before in our entire 6-7 years of credit history, but we've had a high CC utilization. Fast forward to the end of January and we lost our home to a house fire. Of course in January we were able to catch up on all of our credit cards and have paid off all of our CC debt  since then. The problem is our credit went from the mid 660's range to 550-600 because of the late payments and now we can't get a new mortgage. 

Is it possible that those two companies would be willing to remove those late payments, since everything is paid in full and we never were 30 days late before? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Getting late payments removed from CR

It's certainly worth sending a GW letter to request them to remove late payments.   Chase is somewhat receptive to GW, Cap1 seems to be not so much.

If this was the only time that you were late they might be more receptive.   And given your difficult circumstances they might help.   Good luck !!

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband and I were late on our Cap 1 and chase cards in December and have as 30 day and one 60 day delinquency reporting. Unfortunately he had to take a paycut for a new job (significant pay cut) in November and things were tight. We've never been late on anything  before in our entire 6-7 years of credit history, but we've had a high CC utilization. Fast forward to the end of January and we lost our home to a house fire. Of course in January we were able to catch up on all of our credit cards and have paid off all of our CC debt  since then. The problem is our credit went from the mid 660's range to 550-600 because of the late payments and now we can't get a new mortgage. 

Is it possible that those two companies would be willing to remove those late payments, since everything is paid in full and we never were 30 days late before? 

So sorry to hear about your house fire.  I hope everyone was okay.

It is certainly possible that they could remove the late payments, so you should definitely start by sending GW letters.  The good news is that from reading these forums, I have seen Chase will often grant GW requests.  The bad news is that Cap One seems to be the most stubborn of them all and people don't usually have much luck with them.  That is no reason not to try.  Definitely start sending out GW letters ASAP.  Also, be sure to highlight what happened with the huge paycut and losing your house in a fire.  The sympathy couldn't hurt with your GW requests.

I hope it works out for you.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both.

Thankfully we all (ourselves and our three kids) managed to get out safely, because of working smoke detectors (we were sleeping). 

So is it better to send the letters instead of calling? Or should we call and also send the letters? 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you both.

Thankfully we all (ourselves and our three kids) managed to get out safely, because of working smoke detectors (we were sleeping). 

So is it better to send the letters instead of calling? Or should we call and also send the letters? 

I would try both, but you are way more likely for success via letters.  Front line CSRs rarely have the power to do things like this.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase took off the 60 day, but the others all said no. The good news is that paying off all debt besides one installment loan of $1400 made our credit skyrocket! We were able to successfuly get a mortgage approval finally and are in the process of buying a new home. 

Message 6 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Always use letters or try an email.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.