Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting out of CC debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting out of CC debt

Hello, I have a  couple of questions about bringing my credit cards current.  I recently got married and am anxious to get myself out of trouble.  I currently have six credit cards.  Of those, 5 are past due and over the limit.  I recently added up the total debts, minimum payments, and everything else.  I have some financial room to bring these accounts current, but I have a few questions about them.

1) Is there any chance that these banks will close my cards if I bring them current?  Or is there a chance they will see the larger payments as a sign of good faith that I am trying to get back on track?  The banks are Barclay, Cap One, and HSBC

2) Is there any realisitic chance I can negotiate some form of good will with them?  For example, if I bring the account current and make regular payments for X number of months, could they remove the late payments from my credit report

3) My goal isn't to get a free pass, and I genuinally want to bring these accounts current and ideally use the cards again when they are on track.  I realize the mistakes I made and am looking for the best possible ways to fix the situation.  Any advice on what I can do, or how to talk to the customer service assocaites, is greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting out of CC debt

And assuming there is no good will, is it realistic to think that a year of good payments will somewhat remove the sting of the reported late payments?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry one more thing I forgot to ask...

Of the cards mentioned, my goal is to pay them all off over time and not really use them.  The only card I really want to keep for now is Barclay.  Would they be more or less willing to close the account if I offered to pay the entire balance?

Message 3 of 6
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Start paying them before they go to collections and they will probably keep your accounts open.  You have probably lost your rewards, are at penalty apr, and might get your limits lowered... so it might not be a bad idea just to close them anyway after you pay them off.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 6
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

I can only tell you what I would do:

1.  Get cards current and under limits.  This will save you a bundle in fees.

2.  Starting with the lowest limit throw everything I have at it while making minimum payments on other cards.  Some say pay off the one with the highest interest rate first, but I like seeing immediate progress.

3. Don't close any cards unless they have an AF.  And then wait until just before the AF hits to close it.  When you close cards you lose the CL that adds to your total utilization.

Good luck!

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.