Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting phone bill removed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting phone bill removed

I have a phone bill from 3  years ago when I signed up for service;  I've requested investigation and the company and credit bureaus still won't remove it.    After waiting for an activation date and turning in 3 work orders, they finally told me 2 weeks later that they'd never actually activated the service, long story.   At that point, I asked them to cancel it and they said they would and that I wouldn't be charged.  I never got that agreement in writing, though, and now I have a small charge which they are refusing to remove. 

Sometimes it's easier just to pay the charge, than to try to fight it......I had an $8.00 "bad debt" that kept showing up on my credit (yes, you read that right, only eight dollars), when it had been paid off 4 years ago!.....finally resent a copy of the receipt that said "Paid in cash in full" , this time with return receipt request, at the cost of $16.00,  to all the credit bureaus to finally get it removed!

But in this case I have nothing in writing that the company agreed to cancel the service. 

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting phone bill removed

Is receipt from one of their independent store locations? Does receipt have date printed on it (not hand written)? Which cell phone company was it with? Was it paid through a payment center? 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I probably should have given more details.  It wasn't for cellphone; it was for landline/internet service.  I called in by phone to request to have the service activated.   When I finally called for the umpteenth time, and they admitted that the tech never did come to the house, I told them to just forget the whole thing and I'd go with another company.  So, they verbally agreed to cancel the service request and to not bill me, but I never got a written agreement to that effect. 

The amount they're billing me is so small, that I feel like I might as well go ahead and pay it....it's not worth my time to keep fighting with them.  I just feel that if I pay it, it should be removed.  Why should I pay it if it's not even going to make a difference in my credit score. 

Message 3 of 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Yes for 8 dollars it really isn't worth the aggravation. Just ask if they will delete from CRA's for paying in full. If they agree get in some form of writing, email, something. So you have something to dispute if a problem arrises 

My question is why are they charging you when they did not uphold their agreement to install and provide services? They don't show and they charge you? Hmmm seems like I need to be in that line of work! Smiley Mad

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

An update--O.K., I'm still working on this problem (phone bill for a landline number that the phone co. never put in service)

I am really serious about getting my credit reports cleaned up.  So, back in November, I drove 60 miles to one of their stores to talk to one of their reps.  It took about 20 minutes, but I got a receipt and the rep said it would come off my credit reports, just not instantaneously.

Well, it is still showing up on my credit reports.....they just changed it to a zero balance.   And, to add insult to injury, they placed an inquiry that is showing up on the same date that I paid it!!!!!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.