Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting removed as a cosigner on a paid auto loan

tag
m29
Regular Contributor

Getting removed as a cosigner on a paid auto loan

Hi all, I am currently trying to rebuild my credit after a seperation and I have had some luck so far as far as disputing and paying off old debt. Here is my situation: I cosigned an auto loan for my wife (she had good credit but needed me for the income). We seperated about a year later and she had possession of the vehicle and was consistantly  30, 60 and even 120 days late, she had good intentions but just not the funds to afford a $400 car payment, now of course showing on my report. The Bank at the time was Sovereign, she caught up all the payments and the loan was transferred to Santander she paid on time at this point and finally paid of the loan off 3 years early. Just have to note here that we have now reconciled and we are both diligently working to clear up all the messes it caused.

So my question is: Is there any way to get removed as the cosigner and have this horrible TL removed now that the loan has been satisfied?  Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has a good contact email for Sovereign bank I could really use it!!! Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 8/30/11 EQ 520 TU98 593
Current Score: LO Pull 3/5/12 EQ 659 TU04 652 EX 649
LO Pull 5/26/12 EQ 656 TU04 668 EX 651
Goal Score: 700 by 12/30/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting removed as a cosigner on a paid auto loan

@m29 wrote:

Hi all, I am currently trying to rebuild my credit after a seperation and I have had some luck so far as far as disputing and paying off old debt. Here is my situation: I cosigned an auto loan for my wife (she had good credit but needed me for the income). We seperated about a year later and she had possession of the vehicle and was consistantly  30, 60 and even 120 days late, she had good intentions but just not the funds to afford a $400 car payment, now of course showing on my report. The Bank at the time was Sovereign, she caught up all the payments and the loan was transferred to Santander she paid on time at this point and finally paid of the loan off 3 years early. Just have to note here that we have now reconciled and we are both diligently working to clear up all the messes it caused.

So my question is: Is there any way to get removed as the cosigner and have this horrible TL removed now that the loan has been satisfied?  Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has a good contact email for Sovereign bank I could really use it!!! Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

If the loan is transferred to Santander, you need to work with Santander. And they are a big pain. It took me over a year of letters and calls to get an incorrect listing removed, and this seems like a legitimate listing.

Your only real option at this point is to contact Santander and try to GW it off...

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.