cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting screwed by Midland!!! What should I do?

tag
leesa88
New Contributor

Getting screwed by Midland!!! What should I do?

I am soo ticked right now!

I should have known better to even bother with Midland, but I wanted to take care of a debt with them and they are playing dirty. I went onto their website and plugged in my acct number. They gave three options (which I printed the screen out)..

1st  option: 40% off one time payment, Save 40% by making a payment of 721.55 today and your account will be considered paid in full.

2nd option 6 month payment plan

3rd Good Faith Payment of $50.00. Making a good faith payment will not settle your debt. Please consider establishing a payment plan.

So I opt for 1st option, and mpaid 721.55.

I just check my mail and received a letter from them stating that the payment plan had expired, and they are now requireing the other 400.00!!!! Is this fair? Their website stated the account would be paid in full if I paid the 721.55.. which I did!!! Im so upset!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
leesa88
New Contributor

Re: Getting screwed by Midland!!! What should I do?

I decided to file a complaint with the BBB. Hopefully I wont have to deal with MCM directly. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I cant speak to the "fairness" issue.

As to the legality, the issue is whether their general internet offer constituted a binding legal contract offer.  If it did not specify a termination date of the offer, you might try to hold them to it.  Being a general offer as opposed to a specific offer to you, they might have a clause for wiggle room.

You need to have an attorney review the terms of their offer, and opine as to its legally-binding effect based on your compliance with its specified terms.

You might have a solid case of fulfilling all terms of a valid contract offer.

Message 3 of 8
leesa88
New Contributor

So I filed a complaint through BBB, and received a letter today saying there is a zero balance. Seems like they took action quick , or just a coincedence..

Message 4 of 8
leesa88
New Contributor

Update... I received a response from BBB, which included the reply midland sent to BBB. They say that the letter I first received stating I still owed a balance was sent in error... but the intersting part is.. they threw in "our records indicate leesa88, SSN ending in **** has no further financial obligations.. but the SSN they referenced isnt mine! Its completely different..

Should I reply back stating that isn't my SSN? Arent they required to report accurate info?  It wasnt even close to mine, so typo isnt the case.  Any suggestions?

Message 5 of 8
birddog1962

You probably owed Midland nothing in the foist place. They never have the right proof of ownership of debts.

Message 6 of 8
leesa88
New Contributor

That would be sweet if they can't verify.. I'm sure it is mine. I replied back to them thru the BBB advising them that their reply concerns me because the information they provided isn't correct. We'll see what they say. Fingers crossed !!

Message 7 of 8
jmyers76
New Contributor

WIth midland you can ultimately do one of 2 things and only you can decide.  You can fight. Or you can lay down and take it. Midland fights dirty, and they love illgal bs that they can get away with it.    Take them to court,  small claims court is cheap, AND will get their attention.  A consumer lawyer will probably take your case on contingency if you elect superior or federal court.  Most likely Midland will see your case as a losing proposition for them, win or lose.  And then you ll get an 'sorry for the inconvienence letter' .  Have you filed a complaint with the attorney general of your state yet?  Several states have sued Midland over their dirty tactics.  Good luck,  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.