cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting serious about repairing my credit

tag
emanon1

Re: Getting serious about repairing my credit

Lastly, here is the account that isn't mine (lien) - I was still in college at this time:

CIRCUIT COURT 
***Removed
***Removed
***Removed
Date Filed:
07/19/2007
Date Updated:
09/07/2007
Type:
STATE TAX LIEN
Responsibility:
Individual Debt
Amount:
$5,200
Court Type:
Recorder of Deeds
Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 
06/2017

And here is what carmax is reporting incorrectly, even though I'm current and 2k away from paying it off:
CARMAX AUTO FINANCE  
225 CHASTAIN MEADOWS CT
KENNESAW, GA 30144-5841
(800) 925-3612
Date Opened:
02/28/2008
Responsibility:
Individual Account
Account Type:
Installment Account
Loan Type:
AUTOMOBILE
Date Updated:
05/03/2011
Payment Received:
$350
Last Payment Made:
04/19/2011
Original ChargeOff:
$10,727
Pay Status:
>Charged Off<
Terms:
$0 per month, paid Monthly for 67 months
Date Closed:
10/03/2010
>Maximum Delinquency of 90 days in 09/2010 for $972<
High Balance: 
High balance of $15,918 from 11/2010 to 05/2011
Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 
03/2017
Message 11 of 21
emanon1

*bump*

Should I start with sending out letters for PFDs or should I call?

Message 12 of 21
lae_lae
Regular Contributor

I have read sending PFD and calls both have worked.  From my experience phone calls seems to work faster but be sure to get it in writing if they agree to a PFD.  If they don't agree to a PFD with a call phone, maybe just pay the settlement amount and send GW later.

Message 13 of 21
emanon1

Thanks lae_lae!

Here is my update - 5/21/2013 11:52 AM:

• I called to pay off my Dell account, they said they don't do deletes - I joked with her for about 5 minutes, but she wouldn't budge. Nonetheless, it's paid which will be good if my credit is ever manually reviewed, correct?

• I called NCO and they also wouldn't budge, but I paid it in full. She did offer shady advice - she told me that after I paid it off, I should dispute it and she said there is no guarantee that it would be removed, but said it was worth a shot. 

• I called Carmax, and they were shocked that the creditors were still still reporting this as a charge off. They are sending letters to all 3 CRAs, along with me, to tell them to update their records that I'm current - which should be great since I'm only 2k away from paying it off. 

• I'm headed to the court house now to get the official paperwork that will confirm that the lien isn't mine. The lady I spoke to over the phone felt so bad for me lol. From there I'll send in the paperwork to all three CRA to try to get it removed. It's only showing up on TU (who has horrible customer service by the way), but I don't want it resurfacing.

• Next on my list is Verizon!

I'm actually in a better mood, now that I'm working on this mess! Long road ahead!

Message 14 of 21
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

I've read a lot of threads on people getting NCO removed. via goodwill letters I had 5 collections from NCO removed by disputing that I had paid the OC and not them (which I did) and the CRAs deleted it.

Message 15 of 21
lae_lae
Regular Contributor

Correct about the manual review.  A paid collections is always better than a unpaid collections.  You are doing great, congrats!!!!

Message 16 of 21
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@fishbjc wrote:

Cancel Lexington!  You can apply that $80 monthly payment direct toward debt.  You can find your information here and it's FREE.  Take your time and read, read, read.

Ask Questions.  Buy a book of stamps and a supply of envelopes. 

+1

Message 17 of 21
emanon1

So it looks like my payment with NCO didn't go through, they called back to tell me that my payment couldn't be processed and asked for another card. I told them I would call back tomorrow - when really I just wanted some advice from you guys.

I've read a little on here about paying the OC instead of the CA - it's only $76 and it's from esurance, an insurance plan that I forgot about when I switched to another company.  Esurance isn't on my CR, but should I try to call them and pay them directly? From there, I guess I can send a DV to NCO and it should go away?

I'm assuming it is very likely that when I call esurance, they will either hang up or just refer me back to NCO. Anyone with any advice on how to go about handling this?

Message 18 of 21
emanon1

I canceled on saturday, they weren't too aggresive at all with trying to keep me on.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it is a good thing I came here because I have 4 larger old accounts that I didn't want them to wake up until I'm 100% ready to PIF.

Message 19 of 21
lae_lae
Regular Contributor

If esurance sold the debt then they will refer you to NCO.  If they did sell the debt to NCO ask esurance if they will pull the debt back from NCO in return you will PIF.  If they don't agree to that then you will have to deal with NCO. 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.