Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the Open Sky Secured Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting the Open Sky Secured Card

Hello, I'm going to take the plunge by getting a secured card, I've been turned down by Capital One for prior poor relationship with them, so I'm going to try for Open Sky.  I'm curious to know, from those that have the Open Sky secured card, do they report as "secured" to the credit bureaus?  I'm on Chex so the SDCU is out, plus Open Sky doesn't do a hard pull.  Thanks for any replies.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting the Open Sky Secured Card

I would recommend going for the Bank of America Secured which will graduate into a non-secured card and they'll return your security deposit or Merrick Bank Secured Card is great to.

You could also take a look at the First National's Card - https://www.firstnational.com/site/personal/credit-card/visa/visa-secured.fhtml

It doesn't affect your FICO even if the card reports as Secured so it doesn't really matter if it reports as Secured or not.. As long as it's reporting it's going to increase your score

Message 2 of 9
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

I have the OpenSky card and all around, it's really not that bad. It's nothing special, but the interest rate is okay and it has a low annual fee. This card reports as unsecured and when it first reported, my score shot up 21 points. I only use the card for gas a couple times a month and I always pay off the balance in full. I've never paid any interest and it reports reliably. The only downside is the fact that this card will NEVER graduate or reward unsecured CLI's.

Another fact worth noting: They will hold your payments for 5 business days. I'll pay my balance in full on a Monday and the available credit won't be available for use until that Friday. They do automatically clear the current balance though (you just won't be able to use that free'd up credit until 5 days later).

All in all, this is an okay card if you can't get approved anywhere else. They don't use a hard pull which is nice, but don't expect this card to grow with you or offer anything else, because it never will. After a few months with this card, I was able to get the secured card from Capital One.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.  I burned Bank of America too, so I'm not even going to try with them.  The Open Sky secured seems like the way to go, glad you are having a good experience with it. 

Message 4 of 9
wendlan
Regular Contributor

I got this secured card in June,it did as promised and reported to all 3 credit agencies. I charged about $70 and made my payments. Keep the balance low and don't miss a payment. It takes awhile to come though,a few weeks from when they took my $300 from my checking account. Then a few weeks more to report so it is not a quick process. When it finally reported it went back to June, I got some point increase to my scores,maybe 10-15.

Message 5 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It is a bit expensive, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.  Use it until you can replace with better cards.  Good luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  I burned Bank of America too, so I'm not even going to try with them.  The Open Sky secured seems like the way to go, glad you are having a good experience with it. 

Merrick Bank is much better then the Open Sky. I looked at it as well.

Message 7 of 9
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Open Sky should be renamed Open Wait....lol.  I opened an account too beginning of this month, they were pretty quick about taking my money, but no card as of yet.  Smiley LOLSmiley Frustrated

Patience is the name of the game in rebuilding Smiley Happy

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 8 of 9
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

Yeah, they definitely make you wait. It took them a total of three weeks to send my card after they took my deposit. I have no complaints though, because this card has opened doors to slightly better cards. I now have the CapOne Secured and an unsecured card from Credit One (which isn't good, but it's something to add to my credit repair journey).

I'll garden these for a 6 months and see where I land. Hopefully I can then receive CapOne's Quicksilver card and/or Barclay's Rewards card. I would love to be able to get a Chase Freedom card though as it really does offer some great cash back incentives.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.