Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghosts in the closet

tag
Dishpro
Regular Contributor

Ghosts in the closet

I am rebuilding and have been for a couple of years. On my journey I have had several collection accts removed from my CR's. I am starting to think about the few CA's that were removed for one reason or another but might possibly come back to ruin things. This happened just a month ago but was able to PFD and it's gone for good. But what should I do about any other account that is not yet 7 yrs old and could come back and spoil my party. Should I contact the OC for more info? What should I do?

Starting Score:
Current Score: FICO TU 725 FICO EQ 735 EX 754
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ghosts in the closet

Most of my CAs went away without PFDs, usually by DV letters. Probably 80% of the debts were either resold to another CA or passed back to the OC who in turn gave it to another CA. It's a constant battle, but later on I tried to be more pro-active with PFDs to stop the cycle. IMO and IME, wait it out. Be vigilant. Be sure to opt out. And check your soft and hard pulls frequently for CA pulls. Also keep a call log as that was a great indicator as to who was collecting next.

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The "removed for one reason or the other" is the key.

If the reason for removal was based on a dispute, no party (in your case, the prior or any other debt collector) can have the information reinserted without first providing a pre-certification stating that, notwithstanding its prior deletion, they have investigated and now certify as to its accuracy. 

If that were to happen, the CRA is required to send you written notification of such reinsertion within 5 business days.  FCRA 611(a)(5)(B).

Rare.

Message 3 of 7
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

I noticed a couple of soft pulls from CAs (they are companies I do not recognize).  What could that mean?

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Inquiries by debt collectors usually signify that they are considering some type of collection action, such as contact with you or bringing legal action, and want to first assess your current credit status based on review of your credit report.  If your current CR shows ability to pay other creditors, that might be an indication that you have the ability to pay.

A debt collector cannot obtain your full CR without having either assigned collection authority or ownership of the debt.  So it also tells you that a debt collector now is formally involved.

Message 5 of 7
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

Hmmm......with this ch 7 bankruptcy, I wonder what they are planning.  The only debt I have since bankruptcy are my cards and they are in good shape.  Should I write the address from the inquiry?

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 6 of 7
Dishpro
Regular Contributor

Other than the free annual credit reports from the 3 major CRA's, can these CR's be purchased (with the detailed SP's) online? The FICO and FAKO reports I purchase do not have the SP's listed.

Starting Score:
Current Score: FICO TU 725 FICO EQ 735 EX 754
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.