Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go To Court?

tag
ucibaqt
Valued Member

Go To Court?

I received a phone calling from a CA today and the representative was arguing with me on the phone. I asked for information pertaining to the debt and she told me that she was adding a note to my file that I am refusing to give her information and it would cost me more in the long run. Are CAs allowed to call you and harassingly demand payment? Also, the debt was for an apt I said at from 2006-2007 with three roommates, I did not renew the lease for the 2007-2008 year and the two remaining roommates stayed there and did not pay July 2008 rent. I have a letter stamped with the date I moved and would not renew my lease. She said I need to clear the matter up because it is going to court, what do I need to do because I no longer live in the same city and if it goes to court I know I will have a judgement against for not appearing because the will probably put a notice in the newspaper and I will have no way of showing up. 
Message Edited by ucibaqt on 08-07-2009 05:21 AM
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Crazy CA

Contact the apartments and tell them you have a letter stating you moved and your lease would not be renewed.

It is against the law for CAs to be harrassing and threatening things they can not do or have no intention of doing.

Message 2 of 11
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I asked for information pertaining to the debt and she told me that she was adding a note to my file that I am refusing to give her information and it would cost me more in the long run.  (and you added a mental note that she's a witch!)

YOU are under no order to give them ANY information of any kind...ever.  They cannot call you and harass you either.

I would definitely call the apt manager & see if you can't get this cleared up.

Shoutout to the pros....would a C & D be in order here???

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You would not send a C and D if it is still within SOL.  You are basically telling them to sue you.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK this may be a stupid question, and I hope it never happens to me, but what do you do if a CA harrasses you? If someone calls and is belligerant or harrassing/threatening, should you just hang up?

Is there anything adverse they can do if you don't listen to them?

This is all very scary to me Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 11
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

check out the federal trade commisson web site.                                                                                                  

FTC: FAQ   

mods--sorry if i broke any rules about posting a link Smiley Sad        trying to helpSmiley Happy

Message Edited by fused on 08-03-2009 01:16 PM
FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 6 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

You haven't broken any rules, so thanks for helping another forum member out. Also, please notice I edited your post so its easier for others to check out the link .

Message 7 of 11
ucibaqt
Valued Member

So I called the management company to discuss the phone call I received from the CA about rent a month and a year after I typed a letter of notification and personally handed in the key for the house a year earlier. The management states that my letter was unsatisfactory because they have no way of knowing if my roommates knew I was no longer going to be living at the location. So my name remained on the lease until my roommates decided THEY wanted to move despite my interaction with the office and my notification that I will not be renewing. What????!!!! So for a whole year my letter was unsatisfactory and I was not notified of such. So to counter their agrument I ask well how did you know that I knew about the other two roommates moving when they notified you. To this the representative says well they turned in their keys, I say well I turned in my keys as well. SO obviously I got no where with the management company. (How convient 2 years after I moved I'm hit with a debt for a place I did not stay in during the month and now they tell me my letter was unsatisfactory). So I decided to call the CA to get a little more info about the debt of course they only wanted my info and were not offering to tell me anything. I gave them Nothing...just pissed them off more...So this is without a benefit of a doubt going to court.

So I have a couple of questions for those of you who are familiar with judgements. Would it be in my best interest to take this matter to court? If the judge holds me accountable for 1/3 of the rent could I bring a money order to pay the collection attorney to vacate the judgement on spot? How hard is it to vacate judgements once they are decided upon? Is there any way to DV a CA without showing your address?? Are there any other options out there?? 

Message 8 of 11
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I don't have the answer, but I'm bumping you to the top.  You might want to go to your original post & re name the subject line..something like "go to court"??  Something to draw attention to your ?

Good luck!!!

Mo

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Look into the Landlord Tenant Laws for your state. 

The letter may have sufficed if you had gotten your room mates signatures on it.  I know it is too late for that now.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.