Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going crazy whether to pay off or not..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Going crazy whether to pay off or not..

These account are in good standing ...

I have a furniture account .. limit 2250, current balance 1300,  min pay 21, I pay 100 per month ..

I have had a Home depot card since April 2011. limit 2000, high balance $900, June Bal. 400. .... I just paid all to Zero Balance on July 20th Bill is cut July 24, 2011

I have  a HSBC CC  $1200 CL,  was 0 balance in april, went to $900 in May, 500 in June, ... I just paid to all to Zero Balance today onliine (I can change this if I need to)

I really need a Fico score boost badly and am working on clearing medical coll... but I was also hoping to get some points via these accounts above asap .. in my credit naive state I thought paying them off would be the best, but then I went a little Crazy readiing so many posts that paying all to Zero could actually cost me some points .. and I can't afford to lose ONE single point ...  And I am sooooo naive as the best path to follow ..

1) Should I go out today and buy something at Home Depot .. and have some sort of balance when statement cuts?? 

2) Should I edit my HSBC payment today and maybe leave $100 balance on the card ..

Please help ... again!  ))-;

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Going crazy whether to pay off or not..

I know how stressful this is to leave exactly the right amount for the score boost.  I ended up having 13% total utility, and only 1/4 was reporting zero.  Two others had 30'ish dollar balances, and JCP had 377.  We pulled thinking we would have to do a rescore to get the 2 balances to report zero's, but my score was already high enough so we didnt have to.  I'm going to watch my scores though to see if they do go up as advised when all are zero except 1.  AND TU98 said too much use of credit!!

Did you go see my TU98 vs TU04 example thread?

So your post is kind of hard to decipher what exactly you have.  Can you list it out?  like 0/400 and then we can analyze the percent of each card, total percent of utility, and see how many report zeros of all your accounts.   0/400 = balance/credit limit.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 4
fot1
Established Contributor

You get you best score having all but one account show $0 balance and then have one acount show under %9 balance..

Too many to list..
Message 3 of 4
casmith1980
Established Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

You get you best score having all but one account show $0 balance and then have one acount show under %9 balance..

So in essence, you should try to pay your furniture account to $202.50 and keep the other two as $0  :-)

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.