cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gone on a Credit Spree - but now I think I should close some accounts....thoughts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gone on a Credit Spree - but now I think I should close some accounts....thoughts?

Hello! my scores are: EXP 620, TU 678, EXP 640.  Today I opened a Delta AMEX Gold account with a $1000 CL.  Now that I have an AMEX account I think I should maybe close some accounts or consolidate?  Here is what I have:

Capital One MC - $5500 line - use it alot. Balance $4000

Capital One VS - $1500 line - use it alot. Balance $1000

Carrier Credit VS - $5200 line - I owe about 3300  don't use it much at all.

Exmark Synchrony - $8500 line I owe about 7000 don't use it much just trying to pay it off. 

Apple Barclay - $2000 line I owe about $600 I could pay it off this month and probably will.

Lowes - $1300 line - I owe about $200 and will pay it off this month.

Sams Club $1200 line - I owe about $300 and will pay it off this month.

Dell $1200 line - $0 balance

Brandsmart $1000 line - $0 balance

Paypal Smartconnect $400 line - $100 balance

Kohls $300 line - $150 balance

Eddie Bauer $250 line - $0 balance

Amex Delta $1000 line - $800 balance

I feel like I have too much credit?  I can probably allocate about $5000 to pay off debt this month.  What accounts should I pay and what should I close? Or should I keep all open?

Thanks guys!

Jeff

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Re: Gone on a Credit Spree - but now I think I should close some accounts....thoughts?

You have about $28K in available credit and are using about $17K right now, which puts you at about 60% utilization. I wouldn't say you have too much credit, but you may have too high of a used balance. Paying that down by $5K will put your utilization at about 40%. I would pay down that CAP1 MC.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gone on a Credit Spree - but now I think I should close some accounts....thoughts?

You need to get your debt down, as it's hurting your score.  Right now closing any of the accounts with just increase your utilization and hurt you more.  I wouldn't close anything unless it's costing you money.  Buckle down and focus on paying off your debt and you would see a large gain in points on your FICO.  I try to only allow 3-6% to report of my total available credit across all my cards.

As for what card to pay down, focus on your highest APR and work from there.  5k down to 42% isn't going to show much if any gain by the way.  I'd think you would start to see gains below 30%.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

10 of your 13 accounts are carrying a balance. You need to get less than 6 carrying a balance to avoid the ding from over 50% of your cards reporting a balance, and I'd include the Amex in the cards you zero out since it's at 80% uti. Then start on the card that has the highest APR or Uti.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You got approved for amex carrying all those balances? I thought they liked thin files and low balances? PLEASE do tell...when you got approved? Was it recently? Asking because I'd really like to add amex you my wallet one day
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys - thanks for the advice! It sounds like I keep all the lines open and just pay them down.  On the question about the approval on AMEX - I applied for this card on 3/3/16 and was approved.  I applied because they sent me a marketing flier offering 50000 miles after I spend $1000. They only gave me a $1000 credit line so hopefully soon they will give me a higher line.  It is the Delta Gold Amex - might have different credit requirements.

Just so everyone knows I rack these balances up each month but then I pay most of them down significantly each month - I usually pay anywhere from $3500 to $5000 a month towards my credit card purchases. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.