Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good News From Chase??

tag
njmb
Established Member

Good News From Chase??

I think I received positive news from Chase today in the mail regarding a credit card account ofr the DW.  She had an account with a 90 Day Late in November 2007 and I just sent a Goodwill letter last Sunday.  Chase responded by saying the following:  "We're writing to let you know that we are unable to review or process any updates to your credit file on the above mentioned account because it is no longer active in our system.  If you would like us to request that the account be removed from your credit file, please send your written authorization to the above address." 

We can't recall but we think the card was with Washington Mutual originally, and now following the merger Chase probably has no record of the account.  I plan on sending the letter, but just wondering if anyone sees something I am not seeing here, it seems to be a no brainer for us to send the letter and have it removed.  I looked at DW's average age of accounts and this was opened in 2006 and should not have much, if any at all, impact on the age of her accounts.  Just looking for confirmation/advice that this is a positive letter and I should take advantage of Chase's offer.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Good News From Chase??

Looks like a win to me!
Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 8
njmb
Established Member

That's how I see it.  It is our 10 year anniversary today, so I'll just view this as Chase's anniversary gift to us.

Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats on the GW and the anniversary

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I dont read it as acceptance of deletion of a late, I read it as their willingness to delete the entire account upon receipt of your written authorization.

Deltion of the late alone would have retained all other account information.  Deletion of the account will entirely remove all reportting, including such potentially beneficial items as the age of the account in calculation of your AAoA.

With a late that is already 5 1/2 years old, it might not serve long term benefit to have the entire account removed.

Message 5 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Congrats and Happy Anniversary1

Message 7 of 8
njmb
Established Member

Robert, I agree with you about potential long term benefits, but my wife and I are seeking short term benefits and score increases to acquire a mortgage in the next 6-12 months.  Her average account age is 10 years, with her oldest account at 20 years.  This account is technically dragging her average age down in the short term and the DW has other baddies so the benefit of getting one removed (working on other also) will assist with our short-term and more immediate goal.  I think she'll be ok in the long term as she has several old accounts.  The short-term just outweighs the future positive benefits for us.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.