Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Will Removal Over the Phone?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Will Removal Over the Phone?

Hi,

I called Capital One card to inquire about two deliquencies they have reported. Actually, they are two incidents: One from last year was reported as a + 30 and +60s, and they zapped me for a +30, AND +60 AND a +90 on the second incident that occurred 4 years ago.  

I spoke with the customer service rep and explained that while I know that it's ultimately my fault, they were sending statements to an old email address that I have not used in years. I updated my email address and she said that she was going to file a dispute with the credit reporting agencies. 

In short, I'm not sure what this means or exactly what she did. Is she filing a dispute with Captial One? Or the credit reporting agencies? Is it even possible to get these deleted over the phone? I was planning on having to send them a letter. I asked her what the chances were that this will be removed and she said that they were good given my long term membership and no other incidents with them. But I'm not sure she knew what she was talking about. Is there any chance this can get removed so easily? 

Thanks,

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Good Will Removal Over the Phone?

I don't think it would really be a dispute. I bet they are just updating it.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear they are tough to crack though on GW
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Furnishers dont send a dispute to the CRAs, contesting the accuracy of their own reporting, and thus requre the CRA to forward a copy of their own dispute to them for their verification.  If no inaccury is assered, there is no dispute.  Pure silliness and a waste of everyone's time.

The FCRA requires a furnisher to promptly update their own reporting if and when they determine update is necessary to maintain its currrent accuracy.  See FCRA 623(a)(2).

That process recognizes the responsibility of a furnisher to make their determination of accuracy without the silliness of having a CRA send then a request to do so by way of a dispute.

If they do not consider the reported delinquencies to have been inaccurate, then you have an issue of voluntary deletion on their part.

The CRAs dont condine or get involved in deletions of accurate information based on the debt having been paid.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Furnishers dont send a dispute to the CRAs, contesting the accuracy of their own reporting, and thus requre the CRA to forward a copy of their own dispute to them for their verification.  If no inaccury is assered, there is no dispute.  Pure silliness and a waste of everyone's time.

The FCRA requires a furnisher to promptly update their own reporting if and when they determine update is necessary to maintain its currrent accuracy.  See FCRA 623(a)(2).

That process recognizes the responsibility of a furnisher to make their determination of accuracy without the silliness of having a CRA send then a request to do so by way of a dispute.

If they do not consider the reported delinquencies to have been inaccurate, then you have an issue of voluntary deletion on their part.

The CRAs dont condine or get involved in deletions of accurate information based on the debt having been paid.

Thank you. This is informative. But I still don't know exactly what she did. I take it you think she's sending a dispute request in my behalf to Capital One internally to see if they'll accept it?

She said it could take 60-90 days for it to show up on my credit report, so I don't know what to do now. I guess just wait. Or do you think I'm better off writing an official good will letter? Or even disputing it with the CRA and see what happens? I believe there is something called, "ignorance or no knowledge of debt", which isn't quite what happened in my case. I simply overlooked the due date, because they were sending statements to an obsolete email account. Of course, this is my fault, but I thought it may be good enough to get them to work with me as a good will measure. I have no other incidents with them and my payment history with other credit cards is very clean.

Thanks,

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Wait and see what they do, or call them back and ask for clarification.

Filing a dispute is not the way to go.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.