Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Will

tag
mfoxxx
New Contributor

Good Will

Hello, quick question, in regards to writing a goodwill letter for an old phone bill. On my credit report it shows as paid, however, when I paid this a year ago, my payment was paid to a CA because the OC turned it over to the CA. To whom do I send the goodwill letter to asking that the account be deleted? It shows as a paid collection now. Thanks.
In the garden, Sep 10, 2015.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Good Will

The best approach is NOT to ask for deletion of the account if its age is greater than your current avg age of accounts.  Ask for deletion of only the derogatory information, and thus retain the age of the account if it helps your AAoA.

If the OC reported negative information to the CRA on their account with you, you send them a GW relating to their reporting.

If the debt collector also reported a collection, you must separately send a GW to them related to their reporting.

They are separate reportings by different parties, and neither party has the authority to delete information reported by the other.

Message 2 of 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Yes, if the CA is reporting this paid debt, then send the GW letter to the CA.

I have in the past, just called the CA instead of mailing a letter. When calling ask for a supervisor or a  manager, then if they tell you no,you'll have a name to mail a GW letter to.

IMO, timing is everything when calling. Mondays people are not that friendly to deal with, it's their 1st day back to work, after the weekend.Just think about it, working at a CA, can not be the friendest place or easiest place to work.

Now on Fridays, people are in a happier mood, maybe it's payday for them or they are thinking about time off for the weekend and getting away from the office.This has worked for me in the past, so I thought I would share this with all of you.Smiley HappyGood Luck

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 6
mfoxxx
New Contributor

Thank you.
In the garden, Sep 10, 2015.
Message 4 of 6
rainbowbrite
Established Member

ok so an example would be a phone bill has a SOL of 2 years.  It is do to come off in 3-4 years.  Do I need to send a GW letter asking to have it deleted if paid or pay to delete the derog info?

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@rainbowbrite wrote:

ok so an example would be a phone bill has a SOL of 2 years.  It is do to come off in 3-4 years.  Do I need to send a GW letter asking to have it deleted if paid or pay to delete the derog info?

If you have an unpaid debt, you need to send a PFD. If you paid it and it reports $0, then send a GW.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.