Did you mean: 

Good or Bad Idea?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good or Bad Idea?

I have one final baddy to pay off.
I have the cash for the full amount.

I was wondering if I should go to my credit unoon and get a personal secured loan to pay off my $1200 dr bill.

I ask because I only have one cc partially secured for $650 as revolving credit. No installment credit.

The only baddies I have is:
this dr. BI'll $1200 owed in collection
an old 2009 bill $550 paid owe $0

Myfico scores
Equifax 622
TransUnion 600
Experian 598
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Good or Bad Idea?

This is what I did. It may or may not work for your situation.

I started my credit rebuild in 7/2014. My Fico scores were 588(lowest) 608(highest).

I pulled my reports and saw 6 medical collections on them. All were small amounts, $25.00 the lowest, $150.00 the highest.

I didn't know anything about these bills. They were at a local hospital, and assumed them to be my then wife's co-pays(we were separated at the time). It didn't matter though since I was the primary on the insurance I had to pay.

I contacted the collection agency, talked to them. I suggested if they will knock some off the bill, and agree to deleting in writing, I would send them a check as soon as I got the agreement in the mail.

They knocked off 20% and agreed to the delete for pay in full.

It took almost two months to see the baddies drop off. But it was worth the wait, because they are gone now and I am in the low 700's.

Too make a long story short, contact the creditors and see what they will take to delete these negative trade lines. It might work. But then again it might not. You won't know till you try.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

This ca has never PFD for anyone I've spoken to. They also will not for me.
So I'm just going to pay it.
I was wondering if it would help or hurt my credit to get a secured personal loan to pay it because I do not have installments on my credit.
Message 3 of 4
Shokk
Established Contributor

Good idea IMO.  It's a secured line of credit, but still shows up on CR as a trade line.  Long as you don't miss any payments, I don't see a down side.

I would however at least reach out to the CA and see if they are willing to settle for a lesser amount, and see if they will agree to show it as PIF instead of settled.  It's worth a shot.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.