Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GoodWill letter success!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GoodWill letter success!

Long story short, I was overseas and my wife didn't pay any credit cards the first month. We had 30 day lates on almost every accout. So far I have had some success getting them removed

AAFES/Star Card- I had a 30 day and 60 day late on my report. I emailed them the GW letter and they asked for a copy of some paperwork. I sent it in and got an email 3 days later letting me know that they had removed them from my report.

SYNCB(Reeds)- I was able to get it removed simply by calling them and explaining the situation. The rep was very helpful and said she had removed my 30 day from reports. It still hasn't gone through yet but I know she did because I have called since and spoken to different reps who acknowledged that it has been removed on their end.

CFNA(Firestone)- GW letter sent via online messaging app. They responded via email 4 days later requesting a copy of my "paperwork". I sent it through, and they replied the next day saying it would be taken off.

I have had no luck with Chase, USAA, or Credit One Bank. They all want to play the (We can't remove them its against federal law" game. I been nice enough to educate them on the FCRA and how it doesn't apply to simply removing information. They don't care. 

BTW, I want to thank the myFico community for all the previous GW and rebuilding posts. I wouldn't have been able to get these off without you all! Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Re: GoodWill letter success!

Congrats on the GW success.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

"I have had no luck with Chase, USAA, or Credit One Bank. They all want to play the (We can't remove them its against federal law" game. I been nice enough to educate them on the FCRA and how it doesn't apply to simply removing information. They don't care."

The creditor and the CRA's have a contract that states they must report accurate information to them. If they don't then they violate their contract and can face financial penalties. The federal government has also fined creditors for reporting inaccurate information to CRA's. That is why PFD's are going away also.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Federal Law specifically says they are NOT required to report anything, but what they do report has to be accurate. It is 100% legal to remove negative items at the discretion of the creditor and many do. They are using a law that they don't understand to defend their decisions. Company policy/business contracts are understandible. There is nothing that they can do if they are not allowed by their company to adjust reported information. The law however does not prohibit the removal of negative information.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.