Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Bites Me in the Butt, Big Time

tag
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

Goodwill Bites Me in the Butt, Big Time

Wow. So, Education Credit Management was reporting a student loan as a paid collection, and the date on the CR said scheduled to fall off in June, 2014. I wrote in Jan. or Feb. asking as a goodwill measure if they could remove it a couple of months early. They wrote back saying it was a valid debt, they can't make any concessions for good faith shown since then. They also indicated it would stay on my report until 8/2015! Still, on my report, it indicated it was about to fall off.

I wrote again in April saying this was a request, not a dispute, but there had been extenuating circumstances around the delinquency occuring in the first place, it was really only a couple of months early, and I was attempting to get a mortgage ... it would be a big help, blah, blah. I got back an almost identical letter. I also called one CRA requesting an early removal in May--just a request. They told me, don't worry, it will come off in June. Checked my report yesterday & found ECM UPDATED within the last few days (sometime in June, which we're less than a week into), and now have it marked as disputed (I clearly indicated it was not a dispute) and now say that it won't come off until 8/2015!! What the Heck? I really can't believe this. I also discovered a number of other GW requests have now marked items disputed. I am sooooo frustrated, I don't know what to do with myself.

Starting Score: TU 490 on 11/2012
Current Score:6/16/15:EQ 714, EX 704, TU 702 (all from myFICO)
New Goal Score: 740+ for all three
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Goodwill Bites Me in the Butt, Big Time

Take a copy of the old CR with that date on it, and the new one.  Send that in with a copy of the new one with the reaged debt on it and file a 623 direct dispute.  Then file a complaint with the CFPB with the same info.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Go Get 'em!

Message 3 of 6
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Shogun. I figured I might have good grounds to fight this. So, what if they argue they made a mistake before & this date is the correct date? Do you think I still have a good chance to get it off, as it had been reporting with the previous date for years? There clearly is something funky going on ...

Message 4 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@lavencedora wrote:

Thanks, Shogun. I figured I might have good grounds to fight this. So, what if they argue they made a mistake before & this date is the correct date? Do you think I still have a good chance to get it off, as it had been reporting with the previous date for years? There clearly is something funky going on ...

Oh that would be quite difficult to prove. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 6
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

@lavencedora wrote:

Oh that would be quite difficult to prove. 

Sorry, what would be difficult to prove? Difficult on their part to prove why they had the wrong date reporting before? Or difficult for me to prove why they couldn't have just been reporting in err for all this time?

Does it matter if they now decide on a different date ... if they now claim that is the correct actual date? It is very confusing because it was a student loan. Delinquency precedes default by 9 months, and payment could be any time after that. In reading credit info online, I have seen it stated by different sources that each of these dates is the date that starts the clock for credit reporting period. Including Equifax saying that it is first delinquency for student loans, some saying payment date, and servicer saying delinquency date. I'm very confused. I don't know if they were the servicer or a CA. I don't know why they reported one date all this time and are now changing it.

I'm hopeful I can just show that has consistently been reported as the date it is to fall off & now, exactly when that date arrives, they suddenly are extending it to 14 months later. I'm very confused as to why they would bother to suddenly do this now, this is paid, so they would seem to have no incentive to desire to keep it reporting for any longer than necessary.  Arrrgghh...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.