Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Letter-Advice

tag
xangoboy
Contributor

Goodwill Letter-Advice

Curious about goodwill letters, and I would appreciate any and all advice. 

I have 4 accounts that I am paying off.  Macys (closed), Credit one Bank (closed),  and 2 capital one accounts (both open)

Each have the following amount of lates.  One might be able to tell all the lates happened around the same time, but I have been on time for well over a year now on all accounts. 

Macys (11 lates)

Credit One Bank (10 lates)

Capital One (9 lates)

Capital One (3 lates). 

1. Most people on this forum from what I have searched have sent in goodwill letters for a couple lates to be removed, what chance do I have with a multitude of lates?

2. Should I ask to reopen the Macys and Credit One Bank accounts first, before sending in Goodwill letters? (So that it will help to increase my uti. and keep my aaoa)

3. For Capital one, do I send in two seprate goodwill letters?  (one for each account)

4. Is there a right time to send goodwill letters? (I read on the forum that someone said the holidays-is that true for others)

5. Lastly, how long should I wait between sending letters?  As in, if they don't respond to my first one, when should I send the next one? (Are we talking one a month, etc?)

Thanks a lot everyone! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Goodwill Letter-Advice

Welcome to the forum.  The information that goes into a GW letter should be personal and not copy and pasted. 

Each account should have separate letters and it might take one, two or twenty before your letter gets the response you want. 

You might get lucky and have multiple lates removed but if they are on closed accounts be careful that your request does not remove an entire TL.  If ypur lates are 30 day lates and a few years ago the ding to your score has pretty much warn off.  Major derogs 120+ will have a larger impact on your CS. 

How old are the lates? 

Are they 30day lates?

Chances of an account being re-opened ESP with lates are slim. How long has the account been closed?

Message 2 of 7
xangoboy
Contributor

Thank you very much for responding. 

The lates themselves range from June 2011-October 2012.  Once again, I have been on time since then.  I had a tough year, DH and I lost our business.  Picking up and rebuilding the pieces. 

They range from 30 day lates-120 day lates. 

Macys has been closed since the beginning of 2012. 

Credit One bank has been closed since mid 2012.  (Credit one did tell me once that if I pay on time for 6 months, they would reopen the account, I haven't called yet)

Questions...

1. How long should I wait in between sending letters?

2. You mentioned, "on closed accounts be careful that your request does not remove entire TL."  So with that said, should I be as "specific" as I can in my goodwill letter to the creditors, ex. "respecfully request deletion of xx lates?"

Thank you again! :-)

Message 3 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@xangoboy wrote:

Thank you very much for responding. 

The lates themselves range from June 2011-October 2012.  Once again, I have been on time since then.  I had a tough year, DH and I lost our business.  Picking up and rebuilding the pieces. 

They range from 30 day lates-120 day lates. 

Macys has been closed since the beginning of 2012. 

Credit One bank has been closed since mid 2012.  (Credit one did tell me once that if I pay on time for 6 months, they would reopen the account, I haven't called yet)

Questions...

1. How long should I wait in between sending letters?

2. You mentioned, "on closed accounts be careful that your request does not remove entire TL."  So with that said, should I be as "specific" as I can in my goodwill letter to the creditors, ex. "respecfully request deletion of xx lates?"

Thank you again! :-)

How long you should wait depends on if they respond to your letter.  If they do not respond, send them out monthly. 

If you had not reviewed the sticky on GW letters, I've attached it for your review

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 4 of 7
xangoboy
Contributor

Thank you so much for this.  I read a little  bit of it, I need to read more. 

I appreciate your help. Smiley Happy

Have an amazing week!

Message 5 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

How long you should wait depends on if they respond to your letter.  If they do not respond, send them out monthly. 

If you had not reviewed the sticky on GW letters, I've attached it for your review

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

+1

I had GW success with LVNV, sending either monthly or upon receipt of their response.

OP, good luck with GWs.  I think rehabilitating the Credit One CC is an option worth exploring.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 7
xangoboy
Contributor

Awesome!  Thanks again! :-)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.