Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Letter Critique

tag
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Goodwill Letter Critique

Here is the GW letter I will be sending to Cap1. I think this is the 10th one. Oh well... Can't give up. Looking forward to your critiques:

To Whom It May Concern:

I received my very first credit card from Capital One in May 2006. For almost a year I promptly paid the bill on this account on time. In February 2007 I was having some financial difficulty mainly due to my preparation of being deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. During this hectic time in my life, the account became delinquent due to non payment and was subsequently charged off and turned over to a collection agency. I promptly rectified the account and made a payment for the full charged off amount to Capital one in April 2007.

In December 2008 I was given the opportunity to rejoin the Capital One family and was approved for another credit card. It is now March 2012 and I have kept the account paid on time since its opening. I am writing to ask if you would make a “goodwill” adjustment to the three credit reporting agencies and remove the charged off account from my credit file. The reason I am asking for this “goodwill” adjustment is because I have recently gotten married and am looking to purchase a new vehicle. I was pre approved through Capital One for a $30,000 auto loan. I fully plan to apply for the loan through Capital One since your company has helped and trusted me so much in the past. Before I applied I wanted to have this removed from my credit history to increase the chances of getting accepted for the auto loan. I would really appreciate the “goodwill” adjustment and look forward to applying and being approved for a Capital One auto loan.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Re: Goodwill Letter Critique

I have nothing to critique with this. It looks great to me! And also...THANK YOU for your service! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Goodwill Letter Critique

Sounds good to me.  I add this part to my GW letters in an attempt to avoid having them say that they are not allowed to delete it:

I would like to STRESS that the information currently being reported IS accurate, (I am not disputing anything with creditor's name). I am simply asking you for a courtesy gesture of goodwill in having the credit bureaus remove this account from my report. I do recognize that this request is unique and that it may not be within normal policy. Please consider that the Fair Credit Reporting Act does not demand that all accounts be reported, only that any account that is reported be reported accurately. Therefore, a company does have legal discretion and permission to remove any account it chooses from the credit report.  I'm hoping that creditor's name will do that in my case with this account.

Good luck and keep us updated!Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.