cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Letter Worked!

tag
ficoChanger

Goodwill Letter Worked!

I had an old collection on my credit record that was really dinging my score.  This was really bothering me because I felt that my score of 696 didn't reflect my true credit worthiness.  Other than that collection, my credit was just fine (no balances, pay on time, have had credit cards for several years, etc.).  I wrote a goodwill letter about two months ago and nothing happened to my score.  I sent the same letter again about a week ago and today I got a score alert that my score went up to 794!  I pulled my Equifax credit report and sure enough, the collection was gone.  It just goes to show that good will letters can work with a little persistence and patience.  Thanks myFico and the forums for all the great information!

For those who want to see what I wrote, here's the letter (names, amounts, and dates are changed):

4/24/2010

Regarding: Account No. XXXXXXXXX

BONNEVILLE BILLING
[Their address]

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to you concerning a collection enacted against me on 1/2004.  The collection was for an outstanding payment to the Park Apartment Complex where I resided in 2002-2003.  After moving out of that area I moved around a lot and did not have a permanent address.  For whatever reason, I did not receive a bill they mailed me for $106.  It was only once I discovered this collection on a credit report did I realize that I owed a balance which I promptly paid in full on 10/20/2006.

I am writing asking you to delete this negative information from my credit history.  I have a stable income from a full time job and would have easily paid my balance if I had known about it.  I have never been late paying any bill, credit card, or loan and, other than this collection, my credit history is excellent.  Honestly, I feel a little silly having a negative mark on my credit report for such a relatively small amount of money.

I am shopping for a home mortgage and negative reports such as this may preclude me from receiving a good interest rate or even qualifying for a loan at all.  Since this past collection does not reflect my current ability to pay my balances on time I am asking you to please ask the credit agencies to delete it from my record.  Since this collection record will be removed from my history in a few years anyway, I am kindly asking you to erase it just a little earlier.  I know that you are under no such obligation to do so, but I am begging you to show some goodwill and help assist me and my family in our search for a good home.  Please let me know if any additional documentation would assist in reaching a positive outcome, and I thank you again for the time you have spent reading this letter.

Sincerely,

John Smith
5555 Somewhere St.
Some City, SS, 55555
my phone #

my email

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Goodwill Letter Worked!

That's fantastic news!  Your GW letter is fantastic too!  Congratulations!

Message 2 of 13
raine22
Regular Contributor

Thank you for sharing!

Great Letter -   Very well written!!  Congrats Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on a score of 794 and the delete of a CA!!!!Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 13
benben7
Regular Contributor

This is a excellent goodwill letter. Thanks for sharing. Maybe MYFICO should have a goodwill section were we could post our letters. Congrats on the uptick in your score.

Starting Score: TU 675 EX 643
Current Score: TU 702 EX 677
Goal Score: TU 730 EX 730

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

nk you Re: Goodwill Letter Worked!

Thank you so much for sharing your story and the letter template. I just copied and pasted and will be using for my own goodwill letter right away!

Message 6 of 13
jbee
Regular Contributor

Re: nk you Re: Goodwill Letter Worked!

Congratulations!!!  Did you mail the letter to the company?

3/1/10: TU: 615, EQ: 640, EX: ???
6/8/10 (LO pulled): TU: 704, EQ: 689, EX: 694
Goal Score by Oct. 1: TU: 750, EQ: 750, EX: 750

Message 7 of 13
ficoChanger

Re: nk you Re: Goodwill Letter Worked!

I mailed it.  I figured email or online forms would be too easy to ignore.

Message 8 of 13
MICHELLEAHARTWELL
Established Member

great GW letterSmiley Wink

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 705 TU AND EQ
Goal Score: 760

Message 9 of 13
sleephla541
Regular Contributor

I'm trying to get a baddie cleared from my wife's reports too through Bonneville.  I just sent a GW letter through so hopefully there's some good luck there.  We paid the collection last year in full. 

TU: 752, EQ: 761, EX: 745
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.