Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Letter to Sears Ends Up Creating a Dispute

tag
natecooper75
Valued Member

Goodwill Letter to Sears Ends Up Creating a Dispute

I have been a long time lurker in the myFICO forums but this is my first post. The question that I have is in regards to what happened after I sent a goodwill letter to Sears in hopes of getting helpful adjustments or even a deletion of the tradeline from my credit report.

Some background on the account:

• Account ended up being charged off after several late payments. (120+ Days)
  • Worked with their collections department to set up a plan to pay of the debt in full.
  • Debt paid in full as of May 2012.
  • Balance on the account is currently $0
  • Current Status is Bad debt/collection.

Based on what I have read here, my best plan of action was to write a goodwill letter to Sears in hopes of getting any positive adjustments. I wrote the letter and addressed it to the Billing Disputes Department, which after searching through these forums and Google, appeared to be the correct place to send this type of communication. In there letter, I stated the reasons that the payments fell behind and explained how I did end up paying the debt through the payment plan. I also explained that I was not disputing the information in the credit report since it is correct, but I was hoping that they would be able to work with me nonetheless.

About a week or so later, I receive a response to my inquiry stating that they can't remove any information from my credit file that is correct. I also received a Scorewatch Alert which told me that a dispute description had been added to the tradeline.

As I stated earlier, I expressed in the letter that this was not meant to be a dispute. I would like to try to send another GW letter but I don't want to have the dispute comment on file when I send it out. What should I do now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EQ: 678 (Lender Pull 2/28/14) | EX: 669 (Lender Pull 2/28/14) | TU: 664(Lender Pull 2/28/14) 651 (Discover TU 08 3/13/14) 693 (MyFICO TU 98)
Mouseover for Limits

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Goodwill Letter to Sears Ends Up Creating a Dispute

Call them or write them and let them know to remove the comment as you were not disputing, just as your letter stated.

With that said, I have read where some will treat all GWs as a dispute.  I disagree with this. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.