cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Letter to my Credit Union... Thoughts??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill Letter to my Credit Union... Thoughts??

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a goodwill letter until i logged onto these forums. I am hoping to have two late payments (occurring in 2008) removed from my credit report. Please let me know what you think.. if I should add/remove, etc...

Thanks!!

XXXXX Credit Union

PO Box XXXXX

XXXXXX, XX XXXXX

Re: Account XXXXXXXXX

Dear Sir or Mam,

My purpose for writing this letter today is for two reasons. The first is to thank XXXXXXXXXX Credit Union for the excellent service you have provided to me over the last few years, and the second is a simple request to have my account information amended in regards to two late payments occurring in Jan 2009 and Aug 2008.

A 30 day past due status is currently being reported to Equifax, Experian and TransUnion for each month.

Recently, I have begun a quest for an auto loan, and it has come to my attention that having this account reported with late payments may affect my chances of obtaining a more desirable interest rate. Although the information is accurate, my history does not reflect my current ability to pay my balances on time. Additionally, the account did not have any late payment history after the incident in 2009.

I am requesting your consideration into having the derogatory information removed so I may have a second chance at a positive credit rating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand that any correspondence and assistance you give me would be out of your kindness and good will.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to affect to your decision and please also to contact me by phone or email if need be.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Goodwill Letter to my Credit Union... Thoughts??

Anyone?

Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 3 of 7
diveforfun97
Frequent Contributor

Well written letter.  May I make a suggestion?  What in your letter is showing the CU the benefit to the CU to granting you the goodwill.  You might want to add something along the line of...."As you can see with my history of a good relationship with XXXX Credit Union that I am solid member, and I look forward to further my future business with XXXX credit union.  I used to be a branch manager for a credit union and I know that we liked works like "member" and "relationship".  Plus this shows that CU that you are here for a while and not a member that is only there for a few months then moving on.  Again show the CU a benefit to granting the goodwill adjustment.  This is just my addition to a well written letter.  Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

Starting Score: Sep 23, 2014 EQ 577 TU 583 EX 567
Current Score as of 6/28/17 EQ 628 TU 643 EX 625
Goal Score: 700
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Darn. I dropped the letter in the mail prior to reading your post. Smiley Sad I have a sense of urgency to get my CR in line lol. I will definitely post the response as soon as I get one. 

I sent three today. One for two lates on my auto loan, one for a paid collection, and one collection with a balance. I offered to pay in full if I could have the information deleted from my CR. 

I'm crossing my fingers... I'll keep ya posted! 

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I definately agree with diveforfun. 

CCCs, CUs, and lendors are businesses.  They are not primarily humanitarians.  Sure, pleading the benefits to you is fine, but I would definately, in the future, put more emphasis on the potential future benefits to them.  Such as coming to them, based on their proven past performance,  forr future credit needs.

Additionally, if you can paint it in a postive light, a reason for your prior lates, IF you can show that those reasons have been overcome, and are no longer applicable.

Make them want to keep your businsess, not just do you a favor.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Darn, well we'll see how my first attempt goes. If it doesnt work out in my favor, I will write an appeal and include your suggestions. I updated my original post to show my final draft. They are local so it's likely they will get my letter today or tomorrow. Hopefully they call, write, email right away.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.