tom-in-oakland

Goodwill Letters Work! Sorta.

Hello all-

I am in the process of cleaning up my credit report.  I had a bunch of old, paid collections on my report that I wanted to try and get rid of.  I also had an old auto loan that had a few 30 and 60 day lates.  Finally, I had one or two ATT collections and a PGE collection.  All paid off years ago.

I read on myFICO that writing Goodwill Deletion Letters might get rid of some of this stuff.  I know lots of people are curious about GWD letters and whether they are worth the time, the postage, etc.  I thought I'd give it a try and report back with my own findings.

I wrote 12 letters (unique to each creditor in one way or another) and mailed them a little over two weeks ago.  Here are my results thus far-

Out of 12 letters... I've seen activity on 4 accounts.  (Career .300 hitters make it into the Baseball Hall of Fame, so I'm feeling pretty good about this stat.)

Of those 4 accounts... 

AMEX.  $3K+ charge off.  DELETED because they no longer had record of my account in their files. Based on the indentifier I provided from my report, the letter states that the account had been purged.  The letter goes on to state that they were sending a request to the CRAs requesting that they delete any/all records tied to the indentifier I provided.  SWEET.

Portfolio Recovery (collection agency).  Responded that they have reported a $0 balance to all three CRAs, but made no mention of having the account deleted.  In other words, they did nothing, because I already had a $0 balance.  

Dell Financial Services.  Responded that I had to contact the CRAs directly.  Nothing else.  

Chase Auto.  (this one is a little troubling).   Info reported changed from "Paid In Full" to "Customer Dispute/Paid In Full" or something along those lines.  Is this now going to hurt me?  This was paid off in full in 2008.  I haven't gotten anything in writing, only an alert I get from Equifax when something changes on my report. 

So as of right now, looks like I'm batting .250.  

Any thoughts?  I'll keep everyone posted.

Tom

Frequent Contributor
dddfresh

Re: Goodwill Letters Work! Sorta.

Hey there. I wrote a goodwill letter to the creator of dell and emailed him. Just today. Did you have any luck with writing to the CRA regarding Dell? Mine is a paid charge off from 5 years ago. Thanks and hope all is well

9/2013: Fico EQ 676, EXP 686, Fico TU 686.
NFCU Flagship Sig. $14k..NFCU CashRwdsSig $14k..NFCU LOC $12.5k..USAA Amex 4k..AMEX Green NPSL..Discover IT $1.5k...BofA Cash Rewards123 $2.5k...Southwest Premier $2k..Chase Freedom $1.5k..CareCredit $3.5k..Cap1-$1.5k..HSBC $300...Lowes $1.5k...WalMart $1.5k...JCP $1k..Chevron $1.1k..Kays/Jerrod - $5k split. around 8% Util. Want to get in the 700's in 2013! Have three old paid charge offs. 15-20inq.. LAST APP 8/29/13

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+