Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Letters and PFD method question

tag
buttercup415
Established Member

Goodwill Letters and PFD method question

I have multiple 90 day late credit card accounts reporting negatively on my credit reports. 

The GW and PFD seem like good methods, but from what I've read it seems to mainly apply to accounts that have already been charged off or gone to collections??

I would like to keep my accounts open, they haven't gone to collections .... yet, very soon from what all the calls I get are saying.

Is there a way to get them to PFD and keep the account open?

As mentioned in another thread, I tried this with Target and they weren't trying to hear any of it!  I got off the phone with nothing accomplished.

I have about 13 more accounts to contact.....  

I just found out my Care Credit account has been charged off. That makes me sad because I have a feeling I will need expensive dental surgery some time this year. sigh

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
stargazer25
Regular Contributor

Re: Goodwill Letters and PFD method question

Goodwill Deletes:

Apply to open existing accounts that you are trying to get late payments removed. Sometimees they can be done with customer service or wit the EO office. Capital One is a prime example of this.  Goodwill deletes also come into play with  accounts that are closed but paid off. Where the creditor is not required to remove off of CR but out of ther kindness of their heart will.

PFD: 

are for items already in collections and charge offs. PFD's normally require full payment. PFD doesnt apply to open accounts or to keep accounts open.

Starting Scores: September 2015 minus 500 across the board
Current Scores: October 2017 EQ: 715 TU: 710 EX: 716
In My Wallet:
Cap1 QS: $4.8K - AMEX BCP: $4.2K - Old Navy Visa: $7K - Nordstrom $3.8K - VS $500 (FTW!)
BofA AU: $12K AMEX AU: $25K
Business: AMEX BCP $15K
Message 2 of 5
stargazer25
Regular Contributor

Also, depending on how you structure you pay offs you may let something hit charge off but pay it off before it hits collections. Otherwise you will have the OC with late payments and Charge off and then a collection for the same account. Just an FYI. 

Someone correct me if I am wrong. 

Starting Scores: September 2015 minus 500 across the board
Current Scores: October 2017 EQ: 715 TU: 710 EX: 716
In My Wallet:
Cap1 QS: $4.8K - AMEX BCP: $4.2K - Old Navy Visa: $7K - Nordstrom $3.8K - VS $500 (FTW!)
BofA AU: $12K AMEX AU: $25K
Business: AMEX BCP $15K
Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

PFD is only used on something that is already COed or sent to collections. What you want to do is catch up the payments to current then begin a GW letter campaign to the creditor asking for forgiveness but I would only do so after you have made some payments on time to show that you are now maintaining current status.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can offer a PFD on any payment of a debt, regardless of whether there is a reported charge-off or collection.

It is an offer to pay the debt that is contingent only upon their agreement to remove some specified derog, which could be a monthly delinquency, and not necessarily a charge-off or collection.

In some situations, a creditor may have already taken a charge-off but have not yet reported that CO to a CRA.

You can then make a pay for not reporting offer, preventing later reporting of that CO.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.