Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Possible?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill Possible?

I have been reading this forum and many others but am still confused about which course to take.

I have always paid every account I have on time. Recently my monthly credit score took a dive, and on my CR I found a utilities account from an old apartment that had a very small (~$30) bill. In a panic, I paid the bill on the utility's website, and called their office who said that they saw the payment and will contact the CA to resolve the matter. I rechecked the CR a month later and saw that one of the 3 reports showed the account as payed, so I am guessing the utility co. resolved the account, but I will give it more time for the other 2 to update.

My question is, is this a situation where a GW letter could be effective (I know, never 100% possible), and should I be trying to contact the OC or the CA? I have very good credit otherwise and might be applying for large amounts of private student loans in the next few years. I do not want this simple oversite to jack up an interest rate and destroy my wife and I’s plans to start a family soon.

P.S. I am sorry if I used any acronyms incorrectly, I learned them all in the last month.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Re: Goodwill Possible?

Can you list the CA's?  That might help others give you advice on the best plan of action.  I don't think asking for goodwills is a bad idea and you just might have positve outcomes.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

All three collections have the same account number, but the CA is different for every report. Experian is Online Collections, Equifax is Online Information Services, and TransUnion lists South Hadley Electric and Light (the OC).

Message 3 of 5
A1Credit
Established Contributor

I have never heard of them. Try googling to see if they are essentially the same company. Locate contact info and send a letter explaining the situation and ask for goodwill. Take ownership but also make it sad enough that they will take pity.
***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

After very little searching they are the same company. Because they are listed on the report should I send the GW letter to them? And because TransUnion has the OC listed, should I send them a letter also?

Thank you for your fast responces. It is really helping in a stressful situation.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.