Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Removal Success - Need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill Removal Success - Need advice

Hey guys, 

I have been on the boards a couple months taking copious notes regarding things that have worked, not worked, etc. First off I owe you guys a huge THANK YOU for all of your knowledge, it's been incredible. 

In short I had success with my other deletions and GW with Captial One but have hit a roadblock and looking for some input.

As my final act, I sent my dispute letter to the EO and received a call from a representative who was going to "fight my case for me". In short, I asked for the file to be removed from my credit. I admitted that there was clearly a break in communication both sides but that I was willing to make good on the debt if they were willing to remove it due to the lack of communication on their part. 

After 1 week the resolution was given. They are willing to remove all charges from my account which will bring the balance to 0.00 and mark as PIF however; they will NOT remove it from my credit. Now, in my mind they have acknowledged there was a mistake made and are willing to correct it but yet unwilling to correct the file. Is this legitimate? I'm not sure how they are placing it in PIF status when I didn't pay a dime. 

Any help/suggestions guys?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Goodwill Removal Success - Need advice

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, 

I have been on the boards a couple months taking copious notes regarding things that have worked, not worked, etc. First off I owe you guys a huge THANK YOU for all of your knowledge, it's been incredible. 

In short I had success with my other deletions and GW with Captial One but have hit a roadblock and looking for some input.

As my final act, I sent my dispute letter to the EO and received a call from a representative who was going to "fight my case for me". In short, I asked for the file to be removed from my credit. I admitted that there was clearly a break in communication both sides but that I was willing to make good on the debt if they were willing to remove it due to the lack of communication on their part. 

After 1 week the resolution was given. They are willing to remove all charges from my account which will bring the balance to 0.00 and mark as PIF however; they will NOT remove it from my credit. Now, in my mind they have acknowledged there was a mistake made and are willing to correct it but yet unwilling to correct the file. Is this legitimate? I'm not sure how they are placing it in PIF status when I didn't pay a dime. 

Any help/suggestions guys?

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

How is this reporting?? As a COed account?

If they have written off the balance that is a good thing it appears to be a GW jesture from them.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcome!

It's actually the weirdest thing, it doesn't show as a collection as far as in the "collection" category. It just shows as a closed account with a negative status of charged-off profit loss. But in my mind yes, it's a collection.

My problem with this whole situation is that 1) this isn't a debt I owe, it was for fees that were assessed to my old checking account AFTER I requested the account be closed. The problem is the rep I spoke with didn't notate the system so they said it never happened. 2) they are shaking their finger at me about accurate credit reporting which is bologne, credit reporting in voluntary. 3) I wasn't aware there was a balance. I asked them to provide me the letter which they advised this was being placed on my credit report/debt was owed and instead I got a letter signed by the President saying they cleared the balance and are marking it as  Paid in Full - Collection. 

I find this infuriating, I don't have anything negative on my credit other than this but what can I do if they refuse to provide me with the letter by which I was notified and refuse to remove it from my file?

Thanks!

L

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Ok so its a CO which is entirely a derog. It appears that they have acknowledged their mistake but yet have not fully corrected it. You could try one more time to get them to remove it as it was their mistake and notwithstanding that you could also file a complaint with the CFPB. http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Solid advice. I believe I'm going to give them another week to provide me the documentation that the debt was owed/copy of the notification (maybe the letter was mailed separate than the docs). If that doesn't happen I'm mailing them another demand for documentation. If they still don't provide it, I'll make another demand for removal as Fair Credit states that I have to be notified in writing before the item is placed on my file. If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to file a complaint. 

I'd just like to add that we are talking about $154.00 here. Seriously people, what a waste of resources and time, it's probably costing them more to report it!

Not to mention I offered to pay the debt in exchange for removal and they did the exact opposite. Unbelieveable, guess they weren't worried about their $154.00 to begin with. SMH. 

L

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.