Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill letter critique

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill letter critique

Hi All ~

I would appreciate any critique on the following letter. It is requesting that a charge off from 2005 be removed from my reports. It was for a store charge card. I used another letter I found on this forum as inspiration and tailored it to my personal situation.

Dear Sir or Madam,

This letter is in regards to the above referenced account. I paid this account in December 2005, and I am writing to see if you would be willing to make a positive adjustment on my credit reports by deleting this account from the three credit bureaus.

I understand people need to be held accountable for their mistakes and I agree with that entirely, but I would like to explain my situation at the time this account went into delinquency. I had gone through a divorce around this time period and had also lost my job. I was left with the household expenses due to my now ex-husbands moving out, which placed me under a significant financial strain. It has been a long struggle to get back on my feet after losing my job, my marriage, and my home within a few short months. But, I have made significant progress over the years and am proud of what I have been able to accomplish.

Today, I am happily remarried and my new husband and I would like to be able to purchase a home. My debt to your company, while paid, is having a negative impact on my credit reports and may prevent us from securing financing for this purchase. I am humbly asking you to please provide me with the chance to do so by deleting this account.

I have had to attempt to work with collection agencies that will stop at nothing to collect a debt and I am so grateful I did not have an experience like that with your company. I appreciate that your company has always been courteous and respectful to me, and I appreciate your patience during that tumultuous period in my life. I have tried very hard to rectify the financial damage I did to myself during that time, and am sincerely asking you to consider my request. Please let me know if you require any further information from me that would help in reaching a positive outcome.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my letter, and I would greatly appreciate any positive action on your part to assist my husband and I in achieving our goal.

Sincerely,

My questions are, since one of my reports states it should fall off in February of 2012, should I just let it ride, or attempt with the letter? It was paid in 2005, and I do not wish to do anything that will do harm to my score. Also, just because it says it should fall off, does it necessarily mean it will without action on my part? I also do not have the complete account number, only what shows on my credit reports, can the company still assist me?

Thank you all in advance for any assistance.

~ Brat

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MissMia75
Frequent Contributor

Re: Goodwill letter critique

Sweet, to the point and sincere.  I say put a stamp on it and let it rip.... Great letter BratSmiley Wink

Starting Score: 06/2011 505 EX 523 Lender Pulled
Current Score: 08/2011 628 EX 575 Lender Pulled
11/14/2011 TU 584

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
***Closed on my home 05/18/2012***

Message 2 of 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Goodwill letter critique

Brat - it's a great letter.  Srsly.  I wouldn't change a thing.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.