Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill letter on a closed account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill letter on a closed account?

Do goodwill letters work with closed accounts?  I had a 30 day late payment about a year ago with an HSBC card and closed it about 6 months ago.  I had another 30 day late payment with a BOA card that I actually just closed 3 days ago.  I didn't realize until I checked right now that was a card which had a late payment.  (I know generally you aren't supposed to close accounts but I had 5 cards and closed these 2 because of high interest rates and they weren't my oldest accounts.  My score actually went up because I had payed off all my debts simultaneously)

Would they remove it from my record if my account is closed?

Is there any benefit to agreeing to re-open an account if they remove the bad info? 

Which could help/hurt my score more?

Message Edited by Tasksgirl on 02-05-2009 01:40 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Goodwill letter on a closed account?

For Bank of America, I would try the backdoor number and talk to credit analyst and see if they will remove the late and reopen the account with better interest rate.

HSBC, try a letter, never you know. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Goodwill letter on a closed account?

FYI: I sent a GW letter to a old and closed CC account because I had 2 late payments. I got a letter back last week telling me they had no record of my account in their system and that they were going to remove my account from the threee CRA's. Yet to see how this will impact my score - length of history vs. late payments.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.