Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill letter success

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill letter success

I just had to post a big ol' thank you to this forum!! I have had a Barclaycard Mastercard since 2007 and had two late payments recorded on my credit report (one from 2013 and one from 2014) and a Carecredit card also with two late payments (both from 2013)...I had worked very hard to pay off the outstanding balances on these accounts (which I did on both last month!) but those few late payments were still keeping my score bogged down.

I had never heard of a goodwill letter until I came across this site, and I decided to take my chances and send one to Barclaycard and CareCredit. Less than a week or so later I received an email from CareCredit that they were looking into my request (haven't heard anything from Barclaycard yet).

Now, Barclaycard has a tool on its account site which shows you your FICO score and whenever it changes they send you an email so you can check it out. Well I checked it this morning and my score jumped from 640 to 692.... 52 points! I am hoping that my second letter is also accepted and I can get another little boost Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: Goodwill letter success

@Anonymous wrote:

I just had to post a big ol' thank you to this forum!! I have had a Barclaycard Mastercard since 2007 and had two late payments recorded on my credit report (one from 2013 and one from 2014) and a Carecredit card also with two late payments (both from 2013)...I had worked very hard to pay off the outstanding balances on these accounts (which I did on both last month!) but those few late payments were still keeping my score bogged down.

I had never heard of a goodwill letter until I came across this site, and I decided to take my chances and send one to Barclaycard and CareCredit. Less than a week or so later I received an email from CareCredit that they were looking into my request (haven't heard anything from Barclaycard yet).

Now, Barclaycard has a tool on its account site which shows you your FICO score and whenever it changes they send you an email so you can check it out. Well I checked it this morning and my score jumped from 640 to 692.... 52 points! I am hoping that my second letter is also accepted and I can get another little boost Smiley Happy

Congrats!!!

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 3 of 8
HopeAtLast

Congratulations!! Any chance of sharing an example of the Goodwill letter?  Would like to understand tone and wording to use.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the exact letter I ended up mailing, but I actually used this sample here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/GW-Example-Letters/m-p/4521#M127809 and changed it to fit my situation, so it turned out something like this (I actually had been in a job transistion during the time of my late payments, so this sample worked perfectly for me):

I have been a BarclayCard customer since 2007 and during that time, I have enjoyed my experience with BarclayCard greatly. I am writing to see if you would be willing to make a "goodwill" adjustment to your reporting to the three credit agencies. I have two a late payments on the above referenced account that date back to July 2013 and June 2014. Since that time I have been an exceptional customer paying every month on time.

Because of my exceptional payment history prior to those occurances and since then, I would like you to consider removing the negative payments from my credit report. At the time of the late payments, I was in the process of changing jobs. I say that not to justify why the payments were late, but rather to show that the late payments are not a good indicator of my actual credit worthiness. I hope that BarclayCard is willing to work with me on erasing this mark from my credit reports.

I have been a very happy customer in the past and hope to continue a long relationship with BarclayCard. BarclayCard has been exceptional in my book so far and I highly recommend it to all my friends and relatives. I hope that you will deeply consider my request and prove once again, why BarclayCard is heads above the rest. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is amazing! Your story inspires me to read up on Goodwill letters to get some paid medical bills that went into collections on my credit report.

Message 6 of 8
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

Congrats!

Message 7 of 8
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

Congrats on the success!

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.