cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill letter...write to Kohls or Capitol One?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill letter...write to Kohls or Capitol One?

I have one single black mark on my credit...a missed payment on Kohls.  It was a mishandled check by the clerk (long story).  My score tanked by 80 points overnight.  I wrote a letter to Kohls, but they just sent back a "no" form letter (obviously didn't read my explanation).  Should I now write to Capitol One, as they service the Kohls card now?  Which one actually has the authority to report to the credit agencies?  Kohls or Capitol One?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
honky
Regular Contributor

Re: Goodwill letter...write to Kohls or Capitol One?

I just sent a GW to them through email on their website.  I also printed it to mail seperately if they decline.  I got this response within 2 days..Ill keep you updated.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Kohl's in regard to the negative your request to the proper department. They will review your account and mail you a letter witreporting on your Credit Bureau Report. I understand that your credit report is very important to you and can understand how frustrating this must be for you. I appreciate the opportunity to review your concern.

I have forwarded h their determination. We are unable to provide this information via email. It may take a few weeks for the letter to arrive. I apologize for any inconvenience you may experience as a result of the time frame it takes to review your account.

We appreciate the time you took to contact us and hope you will allow us an opportunity to serve you again. Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Starting Score: 580 2/03/12
Current Score: 810 EQ // 829 TU(Walmart)
Goal Score: Achieved!

Wallet: Citi Forward(13.5k), Ink plus(18k), CSP(13.5k), Freedom(6k), BoA123(13k), Alliant CU(5k), Walmart(2k), Kohls(1.4k), QuickSIlver(7.5k) Amex Simplycash Business(46.5k)
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm...just what my letter said, pretty much.  I actually sent the letter via Priority Mail.  They just dissed it without readiing it.

Message 3 of 15
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmmm...just what my letter said, pretty much.  I actually sent the letter via Priority Mail.  They just dissed it without readiing it.

This may be why they dismissed you. Ive read that letters sent priority or certified are usually nasty ones and businesses tend to ignore them Smiley Indifferent

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 4 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto. Just send with a stamp. When I was sending GWs to them, they ignored probably 8 of every 10 GWs.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fussy.  I just sent a plain old straight-forward fax to Capitol One.  Will see what happens.  HopeHopeHope...a nearly 100 point credit dive for ONE and only ONE negative mark EVER!  So unfair.  Keeping me up at night!

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My original message...does Kohls or Capitol One have the authority to modify my credit report?  The Kohls card is actually a Capitol One card.

Message 7 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My original message...does Kohls or Capitol One have the authority to modify my credit report?  The Kohls card is actually a Capitol One card.

They can modify their own TL. They can't modify someone else's TL, like a corresponding CA's. But GWs are accepted all the time. Some OCs are tougher than others.

ETA after it dawned on me what you said....Is Kohls underwritten by CapOne?   *runs off to look*

Message 8 of 15
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

Are you sure about Capital One being the bank behind kohl's ? Last I heard Chase was the actual bank for their cards ??

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 9 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

ETA after it dawned on me what you said....Is Kohls underwritten by CapOne?   *runs off to look*

Yep, it is. I still have Chase in my mind. They have their own department and sending a GW to CapOne's main corporate address won't likely have an impact on your Kohl's charge. It's still the Kohls department that administers the accounts and CapOne funds them.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.