Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill letters and Late Payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill letters and Late Payments

Do goodwill letters actually work when writing to see if a credit card company will remove late pament marks on your credit?

What if you have multiple late payments within the last 2-3 years...is it likely they will remove all of them?

One card in particular I have only been late ONCE in 4 years. Is it more likely this one will be removed?

Another card I was 30 days late 6 times in 2012-2014 and I had 2 60day late payments in that same time period of 2012-2014.(I lost my job in that time frame) Is it unlikely they will remove any of these?

Any advice? I found a link online of an example goodwill letter but I would LOVE if someone could share another example or link me to one!

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Goodwill letters and Late Payments

Two factors usually apply.

First is the degree to which the creditor considers any deletion of prior, accurate reporting to be improper.

The CRA credit reporting manual instructs furnishers not to delete prior reporting based on satisfaction of a debt.

The CRAs are in the business of selling complete credit reports, and consider any deletion of accurate information to reduce the value of their product.

Some furnishers refuse any PFD or GW requests, while others will consider exceptions.

Second is your reason for the delinquency, and the chance of recurrence.

If you can provide a sob story, such as illness, job loss, etc., AND that you have now overcome that event, they may be pursuaded.

Since such deletions are contrary to their credit reporting agreements with the CRAs, many furnishers pass down general no-deletion policies to their subordinates.

Management sets such policies, and thus has the authority to grant  exceptions.

Thus, obtaining the name of an upper management official is otten the key to obtaining exceptions to any non-deletion policy.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I should send the letters to general head quarters...if I get a "no" then I should proceed to call and ask for supervisors?

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So I should send the letters to general head quarters...if I get a "no" then I should proceed to call and ask for supervisors?

You should mail your GW letters to the office of the CEO.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more question...where do I find the address of office for the CEO?

Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

One more question...where do I find the address of office for the CEO?

Google for it, something like this     Bank of America Corporate Office Address    just put in the name of the creditor you are going to send the GW to.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.