Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill letters

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill letters

I have heard that you can write goodwill letters to companies in efforts to get them to remove the delinquencies from your report before the 7 years are up? Suggestions? Successes? Advice?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Goodwill letters

@Anonymous wrote:

I have heard that you can write goodwill letters to companies in efforts to get them to remove the delinquencies from your report before the 7 years are up? Suggestions? Successes? Advice?

Yes you can request a good will removal from a TL that is reporting, best bet is to send request to the office of the CEO of the reporting creditor. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response! Can you please let me know what a TL is? 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your response! Can you please let me know what a TL is? 

Tradeline.  Below is a link to some of the common abbreviations used on the forum.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/m-p/88458

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the creditor and the problems you're trying to have removed (and how long ago)? Some are easier than others, and some creditors (ahem, Wells Fargo, ahem) are darn near impossible.

Best advice I've gathered is keep persistent, answer and adress personally (so it's not a form letter), and if at all possible show how the negative item is very out of the norm for your profile. One 30 day late 3 years ago with an otherwise spotless record across 20 accounts, probably not the norm and will get more traction than 11 late payments up to 90 days and a chargeoff settled but paid less than agreed, no matter what the reason. True story (the second one not the first).

And remember it's a request not a right, you're humbly asking for a favor that they are not obligated to give you.  But post your progress, it'll help others with similar rebuilding quests.  Good luck!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed that Wells Fargo is one of the toughest nuts to crack.  I think I've received 5 letters from them now (maybe it's 6, I've lost count) saying that they have sent requests to the 3B to have the negative information removed.  As of now it still remains, despite their half dozen "requests."  Still sitting tight on it, though!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The ones I am looking to remove are:

US Dept of Ed

Sallie Mae

VW Credit

Some will drop off this summer, but I am hoping to get them off of my report sooner, with successful GW letters.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The ones I am looking to remove are:

US Dept of Ed

They absolutely will not. I am struggling to get them to correct inaccurate information currently.

As for the others, just try. Find as many contacts as you can and saturate them.

Always remember you are asking them for a favor, so give them a reason to do it, and reason to believe you are deserving of it. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Some will drop off this summer, but I am hoping to get them off of my report sooner, with successful GW letters.

If they're that close to falling off naturally, you can also try directly from the CRA for early exclusion.  Apparently TU can allow info to be deleted 6 months early, EQ & EX can allow 3 months early.

Message 9 of 13
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

Seems like WF would be easier now considering all those ghost accounts that were opened up in customers names...

Anywho I will be trying the Goodwill Letter the a CU regarding late payment to see if they will remove it, they said no once but I will follow the advice here and keep asking.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.