Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill prompting dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill prompting dispute

What is up with companies placing my account on dispute when I send a goodwill letter?! It's happened with capitalone and Midland now! It's frustrating to have to call and explain that I am not disputing. Should I be worried about them placing my account in dispute? Does it effect the 7 year rule?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Goodwill prompting dispute

@Anonymous wrote:
What is up with companies placing my account on dispute when I send a goodwill letter?! It's happened with capitalone and Midland now! It's frustrating to have to call and explain that I am not disputing. Should I be worried about them placing my account in dispute? Does it effect the 7 year rule?

Thanks!

Someone doesnt know how to read, I would not even fight it unless you are getting ready to app for a mortgage. While in dispute certain aspects of the TL are excluded from Fico scoring. It doesnt affect the time frame that a derog can remain onfile, the DoFD sets that for COed accounts and individual lates in good open/closed accounts still drops at the 7 year mark.

Message 2 of 4
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

Capital One seems to treat any communication about an adverse account as a dispute. I once just asked a question about my auto loan via "Contact Us" on their website, and they put a dispute comment on the CR. Very frustrating.

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would suggeest calling them and advising that you did not dispute, and requesting they immediately notify the CRA to remove the pending dispute flag.

It affects your credit scoring until removed, so is important.

If they fail to notify of the CRA of removal of the pending dispute, then I would send a formal complaint to the CFPB.

I would additionally pursue, as this practice seems to be both repetitive and limited to a few debt collectors or creditors.

That leads one to believe that it is more than a simple inadvertent misreading of the communication.

With enough complaints, the CFPB is increasingly  likely to enter sanctions against such actions.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.