Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill request for a closed student loan account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill request for a closed student loan account

I recently pulled my credit report and noticed that I have 8 accounts with the US Dept. of Ed that were listed as 120+ days late in Nov and Dec of 2012. That was right after graduation around the time my deferment ended. I was jobless and in a horrible living situation and I just lost track of things. When I realized the situation I was in, I applied for a forbearance so the account was brought up to date. It was then transferred to My Great Lakes in March of 2013. After the forbearance period, I was granted financial hardship, then went back to school so was in in school deferment after that. I came out of deferment this past fall and have been making payments every month.

My question is, since I fell deliquent prior to the transfer of my account, could I still submit a GW request on these closed/transferred accounts? If so, who would I send the request to? The loan is listed on my CR as US Dept. of Ed. and when I log onto the website to get my loan information it only has MGL listed so I have no clue who the former servicer was.

Any information/guidance would be much appreciated!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Goodwill request for a closed student loan account

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently pulled my credit report and noticed that I have 8 accounts with the US Dept. of Ed that were listed as 120+ days late in Nov and Dec of 2012. That was right after graduation around the time my deferment ended. I was jobless and in a horrible living situation and I just lost track of things. When I realized the situation I was in, I applied for a forbearance so the account was brought up to date. It was then transferred to My Great Lakes in March of 2013. After the forbearance period, I was granted financial hardship, then went back to school so was in in school deferment after that. I came out of deferment this past fall and have been making payments every month.

My question is, since I fell deliquent prior to the transfer of my account, could I still submit a GW request on these closed/transferred accounts? If so, who would I send the request to? The loan is listed on my CR as US Dept. of Ed. and when I log onto the website to get my loan information it only has MGL listed so I have no clue who the former servicer was.

Any information/guidance would be much appreciated!!

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

The answer to your question is you send the GW letters to the entity that is reporting on your CR. They have to report an address to the CRA as one must be able to contact them by law should the need arise. I would send the GW letter(s) to that address.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 2 of 3
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Re: Goodwill request for a closed student loan account

Get your reports from either the CRA websites themselves or annualcreditreport website. Annualcreditreport is free once per year, and if you get your report from Experian or Transunion, it will only cost you $1 right now(make sure you cancel within 1 week of getting the report if you dont want to be billed normally).

I would recommend saving your free annualcreditreport for when you really need it, and spending $1 to get the same info from either EX or TU, provided the accounts are listed on those CRAs. If its only listed on Equifax, then you'll have to get it from annualcreditreport or spend $16 on the EQ website for their report.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.