Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill responses have me in tears

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill responses have me in tears

I'm needing to get a new mortgage ASAP (my house burned down).  I sent out several goodwill letters to try and raise my score high enough to qualify for a conventional loan.  I was successful in doing so (had 3 collection accoremoved elected), and was pre-qualified for a conventional loan.  I was later notified by my LO that there were 2 dispute comments on my report (as a result of my goodwill letters because I've never disputed anything) and they would have to be removed before we could proceed further.  I was finally able after 3 weeks to get the dispute comments removed by American Express and Office Depot.  I received notification today from ScoreWatch that my score fell 24 points with the removal of the dispute remarks.  The frustrating thing is I only gained 17 points when the remarks were added.  I'm now below the 640 necessary for a conventional loan.  I need 6 points ASAP.  My credit card utilization is already at 9% so I can't do much with it. Is there any chance my score could jump a few points next week since it fell so much once the dispute remarks (which were really goodwill requests for 2 late payments) were removed?  Thank you all for your help!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Goodwill responses have me in tears

I am so sorry about your house.  I lost mine in 05 due to the same thing and I know first hand how hard it is to deal with.

Once the dispute remarks were removed your score should have went to what it was before.

Did you have any new inquiries on your report?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had no new inquiries.  I can't believe my score is 10 points lower than before I sent the GW letters.  It's mind boggling!

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Without really seeing all of your reports it is hard to say.

Try dropping your utilization just a bit and see if that helps.  Others sweet spot for utilization is below the 9%  (4%) so maybe it will help.

Message 4 of 5
remethy
New Contributor

I'm sorry for your situation.  Kind of puts my credit frustrations into perspective.  I wish I could donate you 6 of my points, I would!

Good luck - will have my fingers crossed for you, let us know what happens.

Starting Score: EQ 539
Current Score: EQ 648, TU 617, EXP 623
Goal Score: 700 by 2/2014

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.