Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill's any one???

tag
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Goodwill's any one???

How many good wills is to many? I have been senting goodwill's to these two companies for the last 10 months Badcock and hoffman. Badcock keeps giving me the standard message of, Keeping in line with the Fair Credit Act Blah Blah.... We report all lates accurately Blah Blah Blah............ Hoffman however has never sent a response. What should I do I really would like to Get the lates remove to improve my score but they wont give in.

Starting Score: EQ: 583 TU: 623
Current Score: EQ: 624 TU: 701
Goal Score: Both Scores 680 Plus!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Goodwill's any one???

GW letters are effectively a request to ask them to remove accurate prior reporting.  They are always correct in asserting that doing so would be a violation of their reporting agreements with the CRAs not to delete prior reporting based on payment of the debt that caused the reporting.  It is not really "blah, blah," it is their reportring obligation. So you need incentive for them to even consider deletion.

So any GW letter must offer them incentive, from their perspective, of a reason to act contrary to their reporting guidelines, and do a deletion.

Reasons must show benefit to them, and not to you. 

Message 2 of 14
Cinn

@RobertEG wrote:

GW letters are effectively a request to ask them to remove accurate prior reporting.  They are always correct in asserting that doing so would be a violation of their reporting agreements with the CRAs not to delete prior reporting based on payment of the debt that caused the reporting.  It is not really "blah, blah," it is their reportring obligation. So you need incentive for them to even consider deletion.

So any GW letter must offer them incentive, from their perspective, of a reason to act contrary to their reporting guidelines, and do a deletion.

Reasons must show benefit to them, and not to you. 

I'll add that not reporting at all(as in deleting the trade line) is a violation of nothing.

Message 3 of 14
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Don't you think saying I am trying to purchase a home and if you delete this negative trade-line I will buy furniture from your company is a little to direct? I don't no any other way to put it. If you have any suggestion please feel free to comment.

Message 4 of 14
leah5570
Frequent Contributor

That's very personal and direct. You can put whatever you want in there. In fact, a lot of people say they request GW's and include they love shopping at that store. If you say something along those lines, be sure you direct it as high up in the company as possible. A lowly employee won't care you're trying to buy a home. I'd say though you still enjoy shopping at their stores and the quality of furniture, as opposed to "delete and then I'll buy". That sounds like a conditional offer, and one rather threatening. Be as personal as you feel, but keep it on a happy note.

EQ. Starting Score 08/19/12: 545
EQ. Current Score 09/02/13: 611
Goal Score: 700

The effects of waking a sleeping giant...
Message 5 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

saveme. you are on the right tract.  It is at least an offer of something that they might consider a future benefit.

Message 6 of 14
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Thanks you guys!! I just feel really hopeless Its a lot of lates 5 to be exact and I don't see them forgiving that even though I have been a customer since 2006 and prior to my lay off I was never late I wish that would count for something.

Message 7 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Dont give up!

Put yourself in the mind of the credtitor.

You, in the mind of a creditor,  get a request for GW deletion that only says how horrible things are for the consumer, .....my 'dawg just died, my wife just left me,  I lost my job, and the roof is a'leaking.

That only paints a picture of one they DONT want as a futire customer!

The GW canvas should be painted positively.  Great new job!  Old problems are gone!  I reeally appreciaste your prior, fine service,and if this good-will is granted, will make me a timely customer for life! BS BS,.

Message 8 of 14
savmeformyse
Valued Member

You are so right Robert, I do paint myself in a negative light and I really do like getting furniture from them the are easy to purchase from and friendly and supportive but, how do I tell them that without sucking up?

Message 9 of 14
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Please critique this letter

Dear Mr. Hoffman,

I have written you many times concerning this matter and I would like to take the time to thank you. In previous letters I talked about how I and my husband have been good paying customers in the past and how we were going through hard times. This time I would like to thank you for giving us a chance even though you knew we could not make payments you help us along the way. That is very important to us as your customers we will continue to do business with you and looking forward to seeing you soon as we being to start to furtuire our new home.

Truly Yours

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.