Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill without account number?

tag
BGinVA
Contributor

Goodwill without account number?

What should I do about sending a Goodwill letter when all I have is a partial account number?  The number on my credit report looks like this 12345678XXXX, I'm assuming the there are 4 more digits they aren't showing and I have NO idea what the account number was.  Should I include my social security number?  An explanation that that is all of the account number I have or should I assume they can find me with that much information and my name and address?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BGinVA
Contributor

Re: Goodwill without account number?

No need to answer for my sake, I JUST remembered that I have an old wallet tucked away in my nightstand drawer that has ALL of my old credit cards still in it, YAY!

Message 2 of 4
Fresh101
Regular Contributor

@BGinVA wrote:

What should I do about sending a Goodwill letter when all I have is a partial account number?  The number on my credit report looks like this 12345678XXXX, I'm assuming the there are 4 more digits they aren't showing and I have NO idea what the account number was.  Should I include my social security number?  An explanation that that is all of the account number I have or should I assume they can find me with that much information and my name and address?

Some account does have the same number as it appears on the CR, but others are not mostly when the account keeps getting sold to other CA. What I do is contact them about an acct they have of mine, so they ask a couple question and then you ask a simple question like "what's the charges for", most of the time they tell you the OC and then you ask before hanging up "whats my account number" and they will give it to you, then you can hang up.

NOTE: Most of the time they want to confirm with address, I just give them a different address just incase they do not have currect address on file.

Gd luck

Starting: 547 +Score EX, 541 MyFico EQ,562 MyFico TU (Dec 2nd)

Current: 736 FCR "EX" (Nov. 5th), 668 MyFico "EQ" (Nov. 5th), 748 MyFico "TU" (Nov. 5th)

CC: BB&T $2,500 CL 3/2013, BarclayCard $3,000 CL 4/2013, WellsFargo $300 CL 7/2012 & Cap1 $451 CL 5/2012

Goal Score: 800's Rank
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Was this related to a medical account/debt?  Masking of some medically-related information is mandated under the FCRA.

Since they reported it to the CRA , they should have NO problem identifying the account if provided a copy of only that portion of your CR that identifies the account.

I would not send more personal information than an attached copy of their reporting.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.