Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got 2 new credit cards despite my 570 FICO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got 2 new credit cards despite my 570 FICO

My EQ Fico score only just went up from around 550 to 570 but I was able to get an Orchard Card ($750 limit, $39 fee and 15% interest) and a Best Buy card ($500 - god knows what the interest rate is, I haven't gotten it in the mail yet).

I just got a Ch. 7 discharge in March so I've been working on cleaning up my credit reports at all 3 bureaus and honestly I think I could have done - or could do - better with getting cards in another month or so. BUT I just lost my job 3 weeks ago, (when it rains it pours!) so I wanted to apply now before word gets out that I'm unemployed.

I don't plan to use these cards other than to the extent I can pay them back within a month, maybe I'll carry 10% balance just to "look good".

Anyway, I just wanted to report that these cards are post-discharge friendly, it would appear - in case anyone else is in my boat and wants to apply for some easy to get accounts. Also I got the Orchard link from some thread (I frankly don't remember if it was this forum or another one) that showed it as being a way to apply with just a "soft pull" instead of a hard pull on my credit, in case I was turned down.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
adamseve
Established Contributor

Re: Got 2 new credit cards despite my 570 FICO

Congrats to you!  Sorry to hear about you losing your job.  I pray that you'll find something soon or at lesat be able to draw unemployment until you find something so that you don't have to use all of your rainy day savings.

I'm considering the Best Buy card.  Did you get the MC or the store card?  Also, what bureau did they pull?  Where are you located?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My EQ Fico score only just went up from around 550 to 570 but I was able to get an Orchard Card ($750 limit, $39 fee and 15% interest) and a Best Buy card ($500 - god knows what the interest rate is, I haven't gotten it in the mail yet).

I just got a Ch. 7 discharge in March so I've been working on cleaning up my credit reports at all 3 bureaus and honestly I think I could have done - or could do - better with getting cards in another month or so. BUT I just lost my job 3 weeks ago, (when it rains it pours!) so I wanted to apply now before word gets out that I'm unemployed.

I don't plan to use these cards other than to the extent I can pay them back within a month, maybe I'll carry 10% balance just to "look good".

Anyway, I just wanted to report that these cards are post-discharge friendly, it would appear - in case anyone else is in my boat and wants to apply for some easy to get accounts. Also I got the Orchard link from some thread (I frankly don't remember if it was this forum or another one) that showed it as being a way to apply with just a "soft pull" instead of a hard pull on my credit, in case I was turned down.

Congrats on the cards!!!

We just got hubby an Orchard with a $300, and a Cap One with a $1K -- don't know why the huge difference, but there it is. Have you considered apping for Cap One?

I'm really sorry about your job, PD. I hope against all hope that something MUCH better comes along ASAP!!!

Please keep us posted!!!

{{{{{{{{Hugs!!!}}}}}}}
Message 3 of 6
Waitressangie1965
New Visitor

I just gt discharged chapter 7 but learned I still had 3 bills I didn't file and are now following me I have only been able to get a carecredit for$800. Can u please provide me with bank imfo to 2 cards you r describing so I can see if this will work for me? Thank you!

Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Waitressangie1965 wrote:

I just gt discharged chapter 7 but learned I still had 3 bills I didn't file and are now following me I have only been able to get a carecredit for$800. Can u please provide me with bank imfo to 2 cards you r describing so I can see if this will work for me? Thank you!

This is a thread from 2008, it is highly doubful you will get a response from the OP... The Orchard bank card is no more it was bought out by Cap-1. Good rebuild banks are Cap-1 and Barclays. You say you have 3 bills that are following you out of BK.... If these were in existence when you filed they are dead just like the rest unless you reaffirmed them in the BK or they are federally backed SLs or Income taxes... You should start your own thread for help and welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Nice necro of a 6 year old thread.
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.