Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got 8 items removed!!!!! Parking Tickets

tag
message_from_god
New Contributor

Got 8 items removed!!!!! Parking Tickets

Hey guys!

Just got off the phone w a manager over at Ex who is filing 8 items on my report for removal!!!!!  It's been a very very long process and I thought to give up (and have locked my Exp report), but the other day I was all "No, this S*%# is going DOWN!!!!" And renewed my efforts.

The thing is there is a new rule that government fines including but not limited to parking tickets, traffic tickets, library fines, etc cannot be listed on a credit report.  You can search other of my posting for the deets on that if you like.  But it's been really hard to get any action on it.  I finally started to listen to the more experienced members and ask to talk to a supervisor.  I did that once a few weeks ago and finally the supervisor knew what I was talking about!  Everyone else there seemed to not know abt this issue at all. Joe The Supervisor asked that I send him documentation that the items in question were parking tickets as I said on the dispute letter.  I contacted the City of San Diego (a notorious illegal ticket reporter, btw) and got someone on the phone who was less hostile than usual and she helped by sending me documentation that they were all pkg tix.  I sent that to Exp and did a followup call today.

Today the rep, again, sounded like she was going to wait around for the creditor to "report back to verify" the items.  Which sounded a lot like the limbo I have been in w Exp for months.  I asked "if they are reported as parking tix, will they be delisted?" And she wouldn't give me a straight answer.  So finally I nicely asked to speak to a supervisor again and got Joe The Supervisor -- AGAIN!!!  Joe looked at the docs and then put me on hold while he called the City of SD and got them to verify over the phone (I think) that the docs were true.  He said if I had had a list on the City of SD letterhead he would have just removed them.  Then he kept me on the line while he submitted all the items for removal.  One turned out not to be a pkg tic but an old waterbill that I guess was late, but it was past the time of limitations to be listed on the report so that was submitted as well.  

JTS said that it would take maybe 24 hrs to get delisting done.  And they'll send me out a CR to verify the items are removed.  Then, I will have a 100% clean credit report on all three bureaus!  

Thanks to all the more experienced ppl on this board for advice on how to get the most out of the calls (ask for a supervisor - the person on the phone gets offended ususally but I just always say "I'm not angry or think you did a bad job.  I just need someone with a little more authority is all.").  Esp w Ex, in my experience.  Waiting to see what the FICO will be afterwards.  I'm hoping it will be over 800 since there is more good stuff on my Ex report than my TU (FICO8 at 798 now) andmy current FICO8 score on Ex is 682 (there 7 "over 180 days" attached to these items as of Jan 2015).

<3

Progress FICO8 since summer 2015 Eq 763 (+171) TU 798 (+189) Ex 761 (+259)
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got 8 items removed!!!!! Parking Tickets

Wow... Amazing!! 8 removed? Congrats!!

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice work!  Way to keep at it and get the results you wanted.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! What number did you call? I've been looking for a good number for them without success.

Message 4 of 13
message_from_god
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! What number did you call? I've been looking for a good number for them without success.

Thanks, dear!  Let me look at my speed dial (not even kidding)....1-855-246-9409 - when someone picks up, ask for "disputes dept"

Message 5 of 13
message_from_god
New Contributor

Thanks, guys!

It was so frustrating before I had the benefit of everyone's wisdom on here.  Totally shooting in the dark.  If I had been advised to ask for a supervisor by a few really experiences ppl on this board, there is no way this would be going down today.  I'd just be waiting for them to "investigate" some more.  And sending out contention letters once a month.  The advice on this board is AWESOME!!!!  <3

Message 6 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The recent CRA policy to remove information on debts from their credit reports that did not result from an agreement with the consumer, such as fines and tickets, is not the result of a rule, regulation, or statute, it is the result of a consent agreement enttered into between the CRAs and the office of the AG of several states, with the primary agreement entered into in a separate agreement with the office of the AG of New York State.

It is not a violation of a regulation or statute per se, but rather compliance with the civil consent decree that is basis for removal of information related to such debts.

Simply contact the CRA and make reference to the January, 2015 consent decree with the state AGs.

A copy of the consent decree can be found by googling on state AG, consumer reporting agency, and consent decree.  It also includes agreement to delete information on medical debt if the debt is paid by a medical insuror.

Message 7 of 13
message_from_god
New Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The recent CRA policy to remove information on debts from their credit reports that did not result from an agreement with the consumer, such as fines and tickets, is not the result of a rule, regulation, or statute, it is the result of a consent agreement enttered into between the CRAs and the office of the AG of several states, with the primary agreement entered into in a separate agreement with the office of the AG of New York State.

It is not a violation of a regulation or statute per se, but rather compliance with the civil consent decree that is basis for removal of information related to such debts.

Simply contact the CRA and make reference to the January, 2015 consent decree with the state AGs.

A copy of the consent decree can be found by googling on state AG, consumer reporting agency, and consent decree.  It also includes agreement to delete information on medical debt if the debt is paid by a medical insuror.

Oh yes, I sent in the documentation of this settlement including the date entered into, that it was with the AG of NY, website addresses and links to PDFs of the settlement (and so forth).  I still got caught in limbo of me sending the challenge and them waiting for the creditor to validate.  They did zero investigation to see if it complied with the out of court setltement.  But for some reason calling and talking to a supervisor did the trick.  

The word in the press is that they have sent out legal documents asking that these tyes of fines not be reported.  So that is why I called the City of SD out on it.  

Message 8 of 13
message_from_god
New Contributor

So the FICO8 went up to 761!  =D

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey I was excited when I saw the post refrencing the article in the NY Times and the consumer assistance plan.  I went down to the parking office in dt San Diego and showed them the new ruling, but they were not helpful and instead directed me to the attorney general Erin Dillon.  I called Erin Dillion and spoke with her for 30 minutes on the phone as she explained to me that the city of San Diego in California is not subject to these new rulings yet.  I proceeded to explain to her that the ruling was nationwide.  She then sent me an email with some information that referred to the new policies of the consumer assistance plan and is in support of my case.  However the city still holds firm that they are allowed to report these parking tickets to the CRA's.

So I called up Experian and tried to dispute the tickets that way.  After finally getting through with somebody who was knowledgeable of the new credit reporting rules.  The Experian rep tells me that they don't show up as parking tickets on my credit report and the tickets are being reported from a government agency and not a collection agency.

It appears that this maybe the new way that the city of San Diego has been able to avoid taking tickets off your credit report.  I stated that I know for a fact many people had their parking tickets deleted off their credit report because of the information I provided and for other reasons as well.  

However the city denies this ever happened.  There are many ways in which I could proceed now but I'm thinking finding someone whose Tickets were deleted as an alibi might help my case which is why I decide to post on this forum.  Or perhaps a class-action is in order.  

According to my research San Diego Attorney, Cory Briggs would be the best man for the job.  He is an expert at suing the city and big corporations and has a $1.25 million dollar house on Sunset Cliffs which friends refer to as "the house Walmart built."  Since there are many people on this forum we would probably have a strong case.  My main goal, however is to get the tickets deleted so I can carry on with my adult life.  If this is not possible then I will be forced to examine other options like a class action.

The expert advice on people on this forum is greatly appreciated.  Thank you again, I look forward to your reply.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.