cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Midlands Attention

tag
trick95

Got Midlands Attention

At the begining of the year, I started to work on my credit.  My main focus is Midland right now.  For a few years it just sat on my credit report.  Now that I havbe pushed their buttons, they are fighting back.  The original debt is out of SOL and they have even acknowledge this on their letters.  I now have an attorney involved and has sent a demand letter to them as they are reporting a "balance" still due.  I guess in FLorida, you cant do that once the SOL has passed.

What Midland is doing now is reporting multiple times per month.  Can they do this?  It seems now that I got them upset and they are purposely sabataging my credit now.  I send my attorney all the paperwork when I recieve it, but was just looking for others point of view.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Got Midlands Attention

By my quick research, yes, they can still report a balance.  They are just time barred from taking you to court and get a judgment.  It doesn't mean the debt is uncollectable, just that they can't use the courts to get it.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
trick95

To me, it seems like a form of harassment.  If they are reporting every two weeks on my credit reports, to me, thats just like calling all time.  Just another pressure tactic.  But, if I were to pay them, they are not even giving me 30 days to make a payment and have current report.  There is really no reason to keep reporting every two weeks other than just to put pressure on me to pay this old debt.

Message 3 of 10
navistar
Regular Contributor

thats exactly what they are doing. pressuring you. you have a lawyer, what does he/she think?

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 4 of 10
trick95

@navistar wrote:

thats exactly what they are doing. pressuring you. you have a lawyer, what does he/she think?

She is mostly concerened about the fact that it is still showing a balance after the SOL.  I know for the most part, they can still do that, but her paperwork was quoting Florida laws...so there must be something there they are doing wrong.

I havent asked her about the multiple reports as I have just started seeing this at the begining of the month.  I though two was unusual, but I let that go.  Now they have reported 3 times this month, so I will call my Attorney and see what she thinks.

Message 5 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I'm no attorney, and I'm glad that you have consulted one, but I've looked all through the SOL laws concerning debt in Florida and I see absolutely nothing about removing the balance after the SOL has run out.  They are two different subjects.  All the SOL mandates is the time period in which they can file suit and get a judgement.  It does not say that there is still no debt to be collected, therefore they may still show a balance.

Is your attorney a Consumer attorney that specializes in this area?

July 2013 score:

Message 6 of 10
trick95

@Shogun wrote:

I'm no attorney, and I'm glad that you have consulted one, but I've looked all through the SOL laws concerning debt in Florida and I see absolutely nothing about removing the balance after the SOL has run out.  They are two different subjects.  All the SOL mandates is the time period in which they can file suit and get a judgement.  It does not say that there is still no debt to be collected, therefore they may still show a balance.

Is your attorney a Consumer attorney that specializes in this area?

She claims she is an attorney, so I really hope so.  At least its nothing out of my pocket if she loses..lol

I really dont know what angle she is taking this on with, but I would think (assume) she knows what she is doing and not just wasting her own time. 

Message 7 of 10
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

@navistar wrote:

If she thinks that an expired SOL means they have to report a $0.00 balance, I'm not sure I'd be turning to her for ANY further advice.

I sell RADIO ADVERTISING for a living, and I know that NOT to be true.  It's as the others say above -- still a balance, but they just can't pursue you legally to collect the debt anymore, including calling you or mailing you.

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 8 of 10
trick95

@Pigeyex wrote:

@navistar wrote:

If she thinks that an expired SOL means they have to report a $0.00 balance, I'm not sure I'd be turning to her for ANY further advice.

I sell RADIO ADVERTISING for a living, and I know that NOT to be true.  It's as the others say above -- still a balance, but they just can't pursue you legally to collect the debt anymore, including calling you or mailing you.

Ok, I just read her demand letter a little closer.  The $0 balance was part of the settlement offer.  she is actually stating that they are in violation because they are still sending me letters and calling after the SOL.  The letters that they send even acknowledge that they cannot sue me.

Message 9 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Unless you have sent them a formal cease and desist letter, they are well within their right to contact you about the debt.  The passing of the SOL doesn't mean they can't collect, just that they can't sue.  They've already acknowledged that.  I don't see where any legal  recourse is in this debt.

July 2013 score:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.