Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a Question about Opening New Card

tag
Aquinbean
Established Member

Got a Question about Opening New Card

Hey all - Like everyone else here, I'm working hard to try and get that old FICO score raised so I can get a good home loan.  Here's the situation:

• all accounts paid and paid on time for at least 12 months
  • paying off all balances to zero, then will go up to 7-9% if thats that sweet spot
  • sent out GW's (today) to try and get lates and CA's off (been paid for years, various lates range from 2006-2011)

The problem is that my one Capital One card ($2500 limit, $1200 balance) got so far behind in 2011 that they restricted the account.  On my CR it still shows the $2500 limit and correct balance, but the card is dead - can't use it.  When I called they said they cannot unrestrict the card, even though I paid all the late fees, over the limit fees, and the balance down to current over a year ago.  They did say they can recheck my CR and possibly open a new card and transfer the balance, but of course that will result in a hard inquiry (already have 3) and a new account (already have 2 within the last year).  I'm afraid if I pay the balance in full that they will close the account, since its restricted and I can't use the card.  I don't want that either, since it shows as a nice available credit (even though I can't use it.)  My question is, what should I do to maximize my score?  Pay it down to less than 10%?  Open the new card and transfer the balance?  Pay it off completely and let them close it?  I really would like to buy a home this year, so it's important for me to maximize my score.  I could care less if this CC is usable or not, I've got a Discover with a zero balance in case of emergencies.  

Starting Score: 584 on 02/28/13
Current Score: 639 on 04/15/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Got a Question about Opening New Card

Fico does not like seeing credit cards with a zero bal. keep all your cards except one at a zero bal and one at about 1-9% util. make on time payments but keep your util low and you will start seeing bumps. what else is on your CR's? CO's? lates? collections?

Message 2 of 3
Aquinbean
Established Member

Re: Got a Question about Opening New Card

I've got a smathering of 30 60 90's from more than 4 years ago, 4 paid collections that are over 4 years old.  Everything is paid and up to date.  Most recent baddie is that darn Cap One and that is a 90 day that is 14 months old.  Got GWs' out for the CA's and any account with a late. We will see I guess.  My question had to do with that particular card and what do do with it.  

Starting Score: 584 on 02/28/13
Current Score: 639 on 04/15/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.