cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a letter from a lawyer today for a utility bill....

tag
ironsight
Valued Member

Got a letter from a lawyer today for a utility bill....

Question for you guys:

I got a letter in the mail today from a lawyer that claims to represent a company that delivers propane.  Quick background - My father and I (seperate houses) had this company come out and deliver propane to both my house and his.  The bill was to be split and I paid my half to my father.  Obviously he didn't pay the bill, and now they are collecting.  I never signed anything or even contacted the propane company.  My father called them and had it delivered.  Family issues aside, I really don't want to pay this twice and Don't have the $2700 that they are wanting to collect.  Can I DV them?  How does this work with Utility companies like that?

The letter said that if we don't pay in full in 30 days, that she will have no choice then to start legal actions to collect.  Trying to get my credit cleaned up, the last thing that I need is another judgement.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Re: Got a letter from a lawyer today for a utility bill....

family issues aside if you didn't contact them, sign anything, etc you were just a place for delivery then as far as they and the origional propane seller is concerned you can't be held liable for the debt.

If your dad bought you a car when you were 16 and he didn't pay back the car loan they can't attack you or your credit (granted they could repo the car but they can't put anything on your credit just because you took delivery).

you paid your dad and if your not super close then I'd say 'let it be his problem' send DV letters and if anything ever shows up on your report dispute it saying you took delivery of propane that was under your fathers name - whats saying your not a tennant and your father was the landlord?

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 2 of 6
sharpie
Regular Contributor

I would say you are not liable and all the previous poster said.  Problem is, if you still live there, and will still need propane, you might be screwed.  Nobody else is going to bring you any, either.  Who owns the tank?  At least here, all the companies will check with others before letting you switch companies...

Message 3 of 6
ironsight
Valued Member

Yeah, getting it delivered may be tough.  I own the tank.

Message 4 of 6
sharpie
Regular Contributor

Well, you know your choices then.  A. Pay it yourself  B.  Move in with your dad to keep from freezing.  C.  Get a siphon hose and take his propane.  (Not recommended it is probably dangerous)

Message 5 of 6
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@sharpie wrote:

I would say you are not liable and all the previous poster said.  Problem is, if you still live there, and will still need propane, you might be screwed.  Nobody else is going to bring you any, either.  Who owns the tank?  At least here, all the companies will check with others before letting you switch companies...

Its not that simple and depending on your state this may not be true.  Check to see if your state has a legal principle of "unjust enrichment." Legal Def.  There are circumstances in which you maybe responsible for reimbursement of the amount of propane that you used.  I recommend you contact a local attorney to protect yourself in this instance.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.