cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a "last try" settlement offer from AFNI, what to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got a "last try" settlement offer from AFNI, what to do?

I have a CA with AFNI on all three CR (OC is Verizon, DOFD 7/2002). I just received a letter from AFNI, not prompted by any action on my part, offering to settle for half the original amount (i.e., $202 instead of $404.) In the letter, it states in two different sentences, "Our records will reflect the status of your account with AFNI, Inc. as settled in full", assuming I agree to their offer.

Hmmm...does "our records...settled in full" translate into "we report to CRs as paid/settled in full."? Anyone have any insight? I'm worried that they may say settled in full in their records, but actually report to CR's as "settled for less the amount owed", which would be more damaging. It's the "our records" part that concerns me ("Hey, we said our records, not your credit report".) Ultimately, based on the DOFD (7/2002), this is past my state's SOL and this bad-part-of-my-past goes into oblivion on 4/2009 (6/2009 according to TU).

Should I:

1) Accept.
2) Accept with an officially written promise beforehand that CR's are to be marked "paid/settled in full". (i.e., ensuring I don't get a "settled for less" on my CR)
3) Go for a PFD with a little more than what they are offering (I'll give you 75% instead of 50% of original IF you agree to delete).

Seems other members haven't had much luck PFDing with AFNI, but I know this is a last-ditch attempt on their part, so that gives me some leverage. Factor in the SOL and DOFD and it might swing in my favor.

Appreciate any advice!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got a "last try" settlement offer from AFNI, what to do?

I wouldn't pay without PFD in writing.

I would mention that CRTP is about to expire and SOL has already expired, meaning even if you agreed that this was your debt, which you don't, you would no longer be legally obligated to pay. When CRTP is expired, it will be removed from your CR, paid or unpaid. I would then counter-offer to their offer, agreeing to pay 50% if they remove it from your report within 30 days.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got a "last try" settlement offer from AFNI, what to do?

I totally agree with sidewinder....I'd like to add that it's important you DV them before making your PFD offer letter. Is the amount that AFNI is attempting to collect a valid debt? and if so did they add anything to the debt since they began attempting collections?

And I know it goes without saying...the letter you received from them isn't really a special offer, i don't know how long they've been sending you letters or attempting to collect from you but they tend to send that 50% settlement offer quite often...a letter similar when they first acquire the debt, again when they've had it a few months, again in a year, etc...

Just curious...Does Verizon show on your reports,too?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.