Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a response to my DV letter...Now what

tag
zikronix
Established Member

Got a response to my DV letter...Now what

Short History: My mother moved in with us and im trying to help her clean up her credit. In 2005 She had a car that was stolen and totaled. She didnt have gap insurance so the OC tried collect the balance which for whatever reason she never paid and no promises of payment.

Who are these people: Recently we got a letter in the mail from PRA willing to settle the 1600.00 debt for 300.00 and due to the age of thee debt they will not sue or put it on the credit report (doesnt matter its already on there) A quick google led me here to these forums. Looking around it appeared that the best option was to DV especially since the OC opened the account in April of 2000. So I sent them your standard, Prove she owes you the debt, that your licensed in AZ, that the SOL hasnt expired, and only contact us by mail, yada yada.

Today: Today we got a response , it looks like a cookie cutter letter, but heres what it says. Back in 2008 the OC sold the debt to PRA. At the time of sale the seller (Americredit) provided PRA with an electronic file of its records concerning the account. According to those records there was an amount due of 1600.00 and as of 2008 there have been no known un-credited payments, counterclaims, or offsets against this account at the date of sale. If you wish to dispute please send written documentation describing the nature of yoru dispute and any info or materials that may be helpful  to their investigation.

Where to go from here: What I see they didnt provide, is proof they are licensed, and proof that SOL hasnt expired. Im not really sure where to go from here or what we should do. Any advice would be great!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
zikronix
Established Member

Re: Got a response to my DV letter...Now what

Any one have any suggestions?

Message 2 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You might want to send a direct dispute. It sounds like they are time barred (no plans to sue blurb) and they are just looking for you to bite on paying off the debt. Here's the link on direct disputes:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Direct-dispute/td-p/2309095
Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Debt verification under FDCPA 809(b) requires the debt collector to conduct an investigation, and obtain, based on that investigation, verification that the debt is considered legitimate.  That determination must then be conveyed to the consumer before they can resume collection on the debt.

Two issues are raised when a response is received.

1. Is the verification sufficient, and

2.  If not sufficient, what to do?

As to issue 1, the DV process does not require the debt collector to send the consumer documentation or proof to support their finiding of verification.

It requires a reasonable reinvestigation, and making a determination that they reasonably consider is supported by their investigation.

Thus, debt verification is your assurance that they have at least stated on the record that they have taken steps to ensure that their collection is not spurious, such as an initiation of collection by merely having obtained a list of similar names in your state, and shot-gunning collection notices to theri addresses.

That may seem, at first blush, not to be much of a "verification," but if supporting documenation were to be required under the adminisrative DV process, it would become a legal fact-finding process that would require both parties to provide ALL documentation, and a judge to make a determination of what it does or does not prove.

Any documentation that a debt collector were to send is most likely to be asserted as being incomplete, or insufficient to prove the legtimacy.  There is simply no judge to rule on sufficiency or content of any docuentation, so it is not a part of the administrative process.  You get their statement that they have obtained sufficient documentation to reasonably support conduct of collection.

Other requested items are not required under the FDCPA, such as proof of licensing, which is a state issue, or expiration of SOL, which is the consumer's obligation to assert and prove at trilal, not the another party's obligation to prove.  Only a judge can rule of expiration of an SOL, not a creditor or debt collector.

In your case, they have stated that they conducted an investigation, and that it supports their finding of verifcation of the debt.  In my opinion, it is adequate verification.

As for issue 2, if the consumer considers that any response from a debt collector is not adequate verification, that is the consumer's postion.

The result wold be that the consumer considers them to still be under a cease collection, as no verification has been provided.  It is not a violation of the FDCPA to send a response that they consider to be adequate verification.  Even if it was clearly an inadequate verification, it would be the same as having sent no response.

Violation of the FDCPA would then occur, at least in the opinion of the consumer, at such time when the debt collector conducts some additional collection activity that would violate their continued cease collection bar.  Then, and onl then, would a consumer have basis for either a complaint to the CFPB for violation of the FDCPA, or for initiating their own legal action against the debt collector for that asserted violation of their cease collection bar.

In summary, in my opinion, you have adequate debt verification, and they are now permitted to resume active collection on the debt.

Your next step is either to now deal with the collection on the merits, or to take action supporting a contention that they cannot conduct collection activities until they provide the informtion you assert is necessary to support an adequate verification. 

Message 4 of 8
zikronix
Established Member

does some one have an example of the wording this dispute letter should say. This is all new territory for me. Any assitance especially regarding to arizona would be great!

Message 5 of 8
zikronix
Established Member

bump for the morning crew!

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Filing of a direct dispute would apparently be based on your assertion that the debt is not legitimate?

If so, then I would anticipate the same response from them, as they have already provided, in their response to the DV, a statement that they have investigated and have reasonable basis for verifying the accuracy of the debt.

Both processes require that they investigate, with response to a DV being their determination that they have reasonable basis for verifying the legitimacy of the debt.

Filing of a direct dispute asserts an inaccuracy of their reporting of the collection based on the same issue.... that the debt is not legitimate.

Thus, in my opinion, they have, in effect, already provided verification that would also apply to a dispute under the FCRA.

Therefore, I would not hold much hope that a direct dispute would result in a lack of verification on their part.

Give it a go, but it seems duplicative of their already conducted investigation and finding.

Message 7 of 8
zikronix
Established Member

I feel that they know that the SOL has expired and they are just trying to get us to bite thus restarting the whole deal! Im in a tricky situation because im paying the bills for her while she lives with us. and ive never had to deal with this many collection agencies!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.