cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a response to my DV letter - What do I do next?

tag
AshCas
Regular Contributor

Got a response to my DV letter - What do I do next?

I sent a DV letter to LVNV funding regarding an account they claim I owe on my credit report dating back to 2008.  The account is not mine, I'm trying to get it taken off my credit report. I was very specific in my letter, and asked them to validate the debt,  provide me with a detailed accounting of the debt, the name and account number of the original creditor, as well as their licence numbers to collect in the state in which I live. Here is the response I got:

"LVNV funding currently owns account number XXXX.  The account was previously sold by XXX on or about 4-16-2008 and at that time the balance on this account was $xxx.xx.  As of the date of this communication, the account balance is $xxx.xx.  Because of interest, payments, credits, fees, and/or other permissable charges can continue to cause the account balance to vary from day to day, you should contact us at XXXX to determine the exact balance."

Obviously this isn't the validation I was looking for - all of this info is available on my credit report. I want to know the details so I can prove that this debt isn't mine.  What do I do next?  Do I write again asking for validation, or do I go right to the CRA's and show them that I wasn't given proper validation as requested?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Got a response to my DV letter - What do I do next?

@AshCas wrote:

I sent a DV letter to LVNV funding regarding an account they claim I owe on my credit report dating back to 2008.  The account is not mine, I'm trying to get it taken off my credit report. I was very specific in my letter, and asked them to validate the debt,  provide me with a detailed accounting of the debt, the name and account number of the original creditor, as well as their licence numbers to collect in the state in which I live. Here is the response I got:

"LVNV funding currently owns account number XXXX.  The account was previously sold by XXX on or about 4-16-2008 and at that time the balance on this account was $xxx.xx.  As of the date of this communication, the account balance is $xxx.xx.  Because of interest, payments, credits, fees, and/or other permissable charges can continue to cause the account balance to vary from day to day, you should contact us at XXXX to determine the exact balance."

Obviously this isn't the validation I was looking for - all of this info is available on my credit report. I want to know the details so I can prove that this debt isn't mine.  What do I do next?  Do I write again asking for validation, or do I go right to the CRA's and show them that I wasn't given proper validation as requested?

I would dispute with all bureaus and send in your DV letter and their response. They have to either validate it or remove it once you dispute with the bureaus.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 5
AshCas
Regular Contributor

Re: Got a response to my DV letter - HELP!!!

Thanks!  The cover letter I received also has the mini miranda on it - stating that if I dont dispute within 30 days they will consider the debt valid.  Obviously I want to dispute the debt, I just dont know if I should dispute it with Resurgent captial (LVNV's Parent company), or just go right to the CRA's?  Is the "Debt Validation" they sent me in my above post really considered enough validation?   Also - they're reporting LVNV"s account as an Open or Installment account on my credit reports, and not as a collection...isn't this incorrect?  

ANY advice would be much appreciated.  I just want to do everything correctly so I can get this off my credit reports..

Message 3 of 5
AshCas
Regular Contributor

bump - I really need some advice on this...

Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@AshCas wrote:

Thanks!  The cover letter I received also has the mini miranda on it - stating that if I dont dispute within 30 days they will consider the debt valid.  Obviously I want to dispute the debt, I just dont know if I should dispute it with Resurgent captial (LVNV's Parent company), or just go right to the CRA's?  Is the "Debt Validation" they sent me in my above post really considered enough validation?   Also - they're reporting LVNV"s account as an Open or Installment account on my credit reports, and not as a collection...isn't this incorrect?  

ANY advice would be much appreciated.  I just want to do everything correctly so I can get this off my credit reports..

If you agree with the debt, then send a PFD. If you disagree, then contact the OC and get past their front line CSRs to get them to send you statement copies to reconcile the balance. If you never did business with the OC and suspect fraud, then call the police and use that police report to dispute and get it off.

The 30 days they mentioned is required of them, by the FDCPA, to give you 30 days to send a DV. You already sent the DV so that's done with.

IMO, LVNV provided proper validation per the FDCPA. Some states allow more info if requested so YMMV based on where you live.

FICO (and lenders) still see it as a CA, not as an installment.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.