Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got in NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got in NFCU

So I got in NFCU. Waiting for a couple payments to post and all of my cards will be clean. No collections or lates, 3400 state tax lien is the only baddy.

300 first premier opened Feb, 2013

400 first premier opened Apr, 2014

500 credit one opened  Dec, 2013

750 credit one opened August 2015

1300 capital one quicksilver opened Mar, 2015

2700 capital one quicksilver opened April 2015

I want to apply for a CLOC and card from NFCU but debating if I should dump first premier before I do or after. Hopefully they approve me. 

I want to dump credit one too but I want to be wise and make a smooth transiition as possible from sub prime land.

I just got a 500 and 200 bump from capital one after telling them on a luv button recon that I wanted to kill first premier if they would replace the credit and they did.

Myfico has me at fico8 678 from equifax 640 fico8 from transunion and 672 fico8 from experian.

Debating how and when to drop these cards and apply for NFCU card now. Also should I wait until my report updates all these balances to zero from my recent payments?

Any advice on this next step is greatly appreciated!!! Been working hard for a long time climbing out of 400 scores with 20+k bad debt I managed without a BK.

Don't want to do something dumb now!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got in NFCU

Nfcu is great. I just joined last month and received the platinum after my secure discover posted and my utilization dropped to 1%. My scores were below 600 from past mistakes but I think the low uti and recent solid direction of my reports helped me. My goal was to burn the hp on an unsecured then recon to the secured but nfcu surprised me with an approval. Personally I would wait for your updates to maximize the SL then shoot for the stars as far as card choice.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I dump first premier before or after applying for a card through nfcu?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I dump first premier before or after applying for a card through nfcu?

It's your oldest account so assuming that you don't have to pay a crazy annual fee this month i would apply for NFCU first and close First Premier after you are approved.

One of my relatives got approved for a card with NFCU with just 1 credit card on their credit report and open less than 14months

Message 4 of 13
forestgreenrover
Regular Contributor

Just go for it. The only factors I had going for me when applying for the cashRewards a few weeks ago were UTI ($4 out of $3300) and AAoA, and I was stunned by the approval. Still am. You can close the junk after getting approved, I can't really see how it would help doing it before you pull the trigger. Good luck!

AmEx Gold, BECU Cash Back 38k, PSECU Founders Visa Sig 30k, IKEA Projekt 28k, NFCU CashRewards 28k, Macy's AmEx 25k, NFCU More Rewards 24.5k, PNC Cash Rewards Visa Sig 20k, PNC Core 20k, Lowe's 17k, Overstock.com 16k, NFCU Plat 15.3k, FNBO Visa 12.3k, AmEx BCP 12k, AmEx EDP 12k, Citi DC 11k, AmEx Delta Gold SkyMiles 10k, PayPal 2% 10k, NFCU CLOC 10k, BBVA Clear Points 9.5k, Amazon Store 8k, Discover it 7.9k, PenFed Power Cash 6.25k, Kay 5.25k, Huntington Voice Plat 5.1k, J.Crew 4.5k, 5/3rd Trio 4k, Citizens Cash Back+ 3.8k, BB&T Bright 3.5k, BB&T Spectrum CR 3.5k, WF Cash Wise 3k, Huntington Voice Rewards 2.9k, WF Propel 2k, BECU Visa 2k, Citi Goodyear 1.9k, Cap 1 QS 1.75k, Cap 1 QS 1.45k
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so I stepped outside of the garden for the first time in several years.

Approved NFCU ncashrewards for 2,500

waiting on aproval for CLOC

Cap1 Venture 1 rewards 2000

Blue Cash AMEX everyday 1000

Got a 30 day letter on chase Saphire.

So very happy. I am going to cut up my frist premiers and credit ones when my cards arrive!

Also going to roll my 2 quicksilvers into 1.

Back to the garden until I get my mortgage down the line! I called NFCU and asked if they could bump my sli if i closed my sub primes and she told me being a new customer I was lucky I got instant approval so I reckon I'll work on my NFCU relationship a bit before pestering them. Just glad to be where I am!

So happy to be a NFCU member and my first ever AMEX!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! That's a nice combination to ride into the 700s with.
Message 7 of 13
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approvals and being at the point where you can close your subprime cc's!!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing your subprime cards wouldn't affect an approval unless you need the util space.

I would close first premier because they are awful and you don't need awful cards.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone. Well closing first premier was fun, she made me listen to a 20 minute script and brought up myfico.com ha.

She says please call back within 90 days if you change your mind. I told her god bless first premier and god bless america!

Credit one is offering me a 200 sli for 20 bucks, glad I'm passed those days! Your next credit one...

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.