cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got letter for debt I do owe from the past. What steps to take?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got letter for debt I do owe from the past. What steps to take?

Quick summery on this.

Last month I got a letter from a collection agency ( Convergent ) stating they are trying to collect on a debt that I owe. The letter of course breaks down to 3 types of payments.  One lump sum of course much cheaper to do and pays off the debt.  The other 2 options are payment type deals of 3 months with less of a discount and then 12 monthly payments to pay the full amount of debt.

Okay I might as well be honest, this debt is for an advance I got back in 2013.

So this is where I get confused what to do. Now, I am in a much better place money wise and I can pay the debt at the lump sum RIGHT NOW. It has yet not been reported on my credit report and I would LOVE to keep it that way. What should I do and is it possible to just avoid getting the ding on the report?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Got letter for debt I do owe from the past. What steps to take?

Call them and ask for an agreement to not report the collection if you pay now. Quite often a CA will agree.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick summery on this.

Last month I got a letter from a collection agency ( Convergent ) stating they are trying to collect on a debt that I owe. The letter of course breaks down to 3 types of payments.  One lump sum of course much cheaper to do and pays off the debt.  The other 2 options are payment type deals of 3 months with less of a discount and then 12 monthly payments to pay the full amount of debt.

So this is where I get confused what to do. Now, I am in a much better place money wise and I can pay the debt at the lump sum RIGHT NOW. It has yet not been reported on my credit report and I would LOVE to keep it that way. What should I do and is it possible to just avoid getting the ding on the report?

I was in this position with them last year on a banking account chargeoff. They had not yet reported it. The debt was mine. I called them and paid in full under the condition that they would not report and they agreed. They were true to their word and it never reported.

If the debt is yours call them and pay it with those conditions. If they agree do it, pay it right then and there on your credit card before it reports.

I have paid all my past collections on a credit card so don't let anyone tell you different. It is so much safer to pay with your CC. If there ever was any funny business you can put it in dispute. Giving them you banking info is not what I suggest.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick summery on this.

I was in this position with them last year on a banking account chargeoff. They had not yet reported it. The debt was mine. I called them and paid in full under the condition that they would not report and they agreed. They were true to their word and it never reported.

If the debt is yours call them and pay it with those conditions. If they agree do it, pay it right then and there on your credit card before it reports.

I have paid all my past collections on a credit card so don't let anyone tell you different. It is so much safer to pay with your CC. If there ever was any funny business you can put it in dispute. Giving them you banking info is not what I suggest.

Okay yeah I was a bit timmid on that aspect of it too for getting all my account info they could very well go "whoops well looks like we are taking the whole amount instead" and then I am left without the money and trying to get it back on top of that.

Message 4 of 5
nmjacobs
Contributor

The debt might be yours but did they prove they have authority to collect it?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.