cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got summoned to court! Please help!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got summoned to court! Please help!!

Make sure he shows up when he's supposed to. Explain the situation, financial hardship, and see if they are willing to settle for a lesser amount. Don't let them win a default judgment by not showing up because you'll have a very nasty mark on your credit report for 10 years, AND you'll have to pay the full amount.
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok. Thank you for the replies. He will definitely show up for it and hopefully it will go well.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just wondering, what if we can settle for a lower amount and he pays it and everything, can we ask them to take it off his credit report? or will they not do that?  I've been reading a little about writing a PFD to get them to take it off but if we're already going to court over it does that mean it's too late to write one?

EDIT: Ok we went to the courthouse today to show them the summons and I thought they would set a court date but they wanted an answer from him, like does he deny or admit that he owes the money. He told the women that he admits he owes it, he just doesn't have the money right now to pay it. So, she said maybe he should call them and try to make an agreement or something before he gives his answer. Is that a good idea? This is all so confusing to me. And is he supposed to call the hospital or the collection people?

Message Edited by April0507 on 05-28-2008 09:25 AM
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I know:

I got a summons years ago from a non-secured bank loan. I called the bank immediately and set up a payment (I think I took a loan from my 401k). On my report it reflects as a charge-off instead of a judgment.

I'm pretty sure judgments stay on your record for 7 years from the filing date. I did research on it lately for a couple other people.

I'm pretty sure there IS a SOL on medical bill collections, however once a judgment is filed, it can report FOREVER if they keep the judgment active.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once paid...you need to try and get a "Release of Judgment"...or get it vacated...from the plaintiffs lawyer...in that case..it won't stay on there for long...
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.