Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got summoned to court! Please help!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got summoned to court! Please help!!

I am really new to all this. I just discovered this site and have been trying to learn about improving my credit and everything. But my boyfriend got a letter in the mail today telling him he has to go to court. It's from hospital bills that he couldn't pay.  He was trying to fill out the financial paper to get some type of aid from the hospital to help him pay it but I guess he didn't get it in soon enough and now it's too late since it was sent to collections I guess. But neither of us have any idea what to do now. Can someone please help us? The total amount it says he owes is $4806.50. Please tell me there not gonna make him pay all that because he has been unemployed for about 3 months now and that's why he couldn't pay the bill in the first place. He doesn't have any money at all right now so what are they gonna do?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got summoned to court! Please help!!

If you got the court papers...he is being sued...and he will get a judgment on his reports???...
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

what does a judgement mean? Is there anyway they will work with him on this? I just don't understand how there gonna make him pay all that when he literally doesn't have any money right now until he can find a job.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the paper he received a summons or a judgment?
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's a summons. It says he needs to appear before the court within 20 days of receiving the letter and he just got it today. But I wanted to kinda get an idea of what they were gonna do to him before we did anything.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

What state are you in?
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

West Virginia. but these bills are really recent. They're 11/7/2007 and 2/25/2008
Message 7 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

First of all, he needs to show up on the scheduled date.  By not doing so they win by default.

If they do win he will have a judgment placed on his credit report.  I think it stays for 10 years from filing but could be wrong.  I am not entirely sure on judgments.

I don't think there is SOL on medical bills.  Your state may have specific information on this.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

so what makes them win? Do they automatically win since he doesn't have the money to pay right now? How bad does a judgement affect your credit score?
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

A judgment is a public record...and it will hurt scores a lot...and it will be on reports for 10 years...unless he gets the money...pay...and try his hardest to get a "Release of Judgment"..after payment..and it will be removed...
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.